Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil for a large raised bed - Tucson

Posted by Melt_In_The_Sun 9a (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 14:25

Hi all,
I posted this elsewhere, but got no responses...this seems like a good group of people from AZ, so I hope someone can help me out!

I have a nearly complete raised bed that will need 5 or 10 yards of soil. It's going to be a general purpose bed, with various small trees/shrubs/succulents/etc. in it. I need some advice on what kind of soil to use. Most of the plants we'll be using would probably be OK in the native soil, so I'm thinking that a sandy screened topsoil would probably be OK. But, many of the vendors around here have a raised bed mix that contains a lot of compost. I know that the soil isn't great, but I don't want to make it too rich.

Here's my wife's first-pass list of ideas. This area will be spine-free.
Aloe fleurentiniorum
Aloe karasbergensis
Aquilegia chrysantha
Boophone distichia
Caesalpinia gilliesii
Chaemerops humilis
Convolvus cneorum
Datura
Dichrostachys cinerea
Drosanthemum floribundum
dwarf citrus
Echeveria (will try a few things)
emu bush
Erythrina flabelliformis
Graptopetalum paraguayense
Graptoveria 'Fred Ives'
fernleaf lavendar
Hardenbergia violacea
Haworthia coarctata
Hibiscus coulteri
Limonium
Malephora crocea
Manfreda
Melampodium leucanthum
Mirabilis jalapa
Pedilanthus
Penstemon
Plumbago
pomegranate
Scadoxus multiflorus
Scilla peruvianus
Urginea maritima
�Mangave 'Macho Mocha'
Yucca 'Blue Boy'/"desmetiana"
Zephranthes

Maybe some bigger stuff too:
Acacia willardiana
Vitex agnus-castus
Sophora secundiflora 'Silver Peso'

Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil for a large raised bed - Tucson

If your native soil is truly sandy it might work OK, but I've found that although my native soil works great in the garden, it is a complete disaster once I use it in any amount in a pot or raised bed (or the compost pile for that matter). This is due to the clay content.

Now I make my own potting soil with volcanic scoria (cinder) mixed roughly 60/40 with some fluffy organic material such as compost. It works really well for me and is basically free, since I make the compost myself, and collect the scoria from a nearby volcanic hillside. Without that much compost you could use peat or some inexpensive compost available by the truckload.

I think you'll have better results if you avoid anything loosely called "topsoil" since this can often be bare mineral soil with no organic matter, lots of caliche, and a high clay content.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here