Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
az_pamperedchef

Tomatoes are growing

az_pamperedchef
13 years ago

I didn't take any pictures, but I'm just very excited about my tomatoes! I have a Black Prince, Stupice & Green Zebra that have ripened and I've picked and Cherokee Purple that has started to blush. I haven't tasted the fruits of my labors yet, but I will tonight.

I'm wondering if anyone here in AZ has grown Siberia tomatoes and if so what was your experience with them?

Comments (13)

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Are these all outside? I'd love to hear more about how/when/where you're growing them. How did they taste?

I usually do a small crop of tomatoes in late winter/early spring ('Sungold' and yellow pear mostly, both great performers for me), so I'm envious you've got some right now.

Thanks for the update--keep us posted!
    Take care,
    Grant

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Are you growing them in a greenhouse?

I started some tomato and tomatillo seeds four days ago for spring planting. I wanted them to be 12"-18" tall when I plant them but I started a little late. They are indoors right now but will be moved to a portable greenhouse in another two weeks.

Please tell us how you are growing yours and please give us some pictures. I just loves dem pictures. I would say they are every bit worth a thousand words.

• az_pamperedchef
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I didn't take any pics, even my husband is asking me why. I guess I was too anxious to eat them! The Green Zebra (first time tasting) and Black Prince were very tasty. I expected the Green Zebra to be a little tart, but it was sweeter than I thought. I was not impressed at all with Stupice. It didn't have any flavor. :-( I will take some photos soon. I have many big green Cherokee Purples, Beefmasters, Black Krim and what I think are Mr. Stripey.

The CP, BM & Stripey are from last fall (2009) and the Black Krim is from this fall. All are in self-watering , fiberglass pots in the east side of my house. I only have 2 plants in the ground and I'm not sure what they are! I started the seeds and had them labeled, but in transplanting them I lost the labels. I think they are Mr. Brown & Mortgage Lifter. Only time will tell.

I have about 20 other varieties that I started on my porch about 2 weeks ago. Some already have several sets of leaves, but most have the initial leaves only. I think I've gone a little overboard in my search for homegrown tomatoes!

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

That's neat! I'm impressed they're outside and growing and bearing so nicely for you at this time of year. Keep us posted!

Take care,
    Grant

• az_pamperedchef
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's some photos, but bear in mind I'm not a good photographer at all!

Beefmasters (about the size of a tennis ball)
    {{gwi:426621}}

Black Krim, just starting to blush. They're a little bigger than a tennis ball.
    {{gwi:426622}}

Black Prince, still little, about the size of a plum
    {{gwi:426623}}

Unknown tomato, I think it's a Mr. Stripey. Nice size, bigger than a tennis ball.
    {{gwi:426624}}

Bunch of Stupice, don't care for the flavor.
    {{gwi:426626}}

Cherokee Purple~monster sized, it's like 2 tennis balls fused together!
    {{gwi:417197}}

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Oh I'm very impressed too. Nothing wrong with the pictures either. Great work az_pamperedchef. You are going to have to work a little magic though to keep them alive over the next two weeks. If the long range forecasts are right we have some low 30's coming our way. You may want to take some cuttings and root them indoors for spring planting.

My little seedlings are about 2.5"-3" tall now. With any luck I will be able to get them to 18"-24" tall by planting time mid February.

• az_pamperedchef
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh no! I just saw the weather forecast and you're right. I must get those tomatoes under the porch. I can get all but 2 under the porch. Both are unknown right now since I lost my markers and those I'll probably lose. :-(

I have a bunch of seedlings about the size of yours right now also. What joy in gardening, but with it comes such worry!

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

did any survive?

we lost all of ours along with our peas and radishes with the last freeze ...

• goodluckkitty
    13 years ago

I am curious too! I lost about 30% of my tomatoes. I will have to try to post pics of my survivors. I took all my pots into the kitchen for 4 days and covered everybody in the ground on top of Christmas lights.

• greendesert
    13 years ago

I've grown Siberia before in the PNW, but I don't remember a whole lot about that variety, except that I wasn't impressed. They can handle cooler weather so it's safe to put them out side earlier than other varieties. I think mine tasted ok, better than store bought ones, but not anywhere close to being my favorite. I seem to remember that it wasnt all that productive although I'm not entirely sure about that part because I also grew Oregon Spring (another cold tolerating variety in the same plot and I liked the taste of that one much better, but Oregon Spring produced very little for me.

• az_pamperedchef
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The majority did survive, thankfully. I did lose the Beefmaster, but I'm not too sad not a favorite for me. The CP I had to cut WAY back, but it survived. Of the two unknowns, one had to be cut back very short and the either I lost in the ground. I have flowers on quite a few of them so I'm getting excited again. Still have my little seedlings, not quite ready to plant.

I've been looking for self-watering containers which work very well for me. I found about 5 large ones at Goodwill a couple of years ago for $2 each and they're great!

• azbookworm
    13 years ago

Recommendations please...

Tomatoes varieties for here in sunny Phoenix AZ.

What are you growing this spring / summer??

I have a couple of pots on the back porch. Red Cherry and Jelly Bean. Put in pots late so they are just now fruiting.

• goodluckkitty
    13 years ago

azbookworm,
    I have had a lot of luck with cherry, pear and patio. I love BIG heirlooms, but I feel I have to get the timing just perfect to get a decent amount of fruit. I don't worry so much about variety as timing.