Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig tree finally went dormant...now one question

Posted by raimeiken (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 18, 11 at 16:06

It finally dropped all of its leaves but it still got quite a lot of fruit on it. All of them are small and green still. Should I leave them on it or should I pluck them all off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig tree finally went dormant...now one question

Its really a crap shoot. If it gets really cold the fig embryos will die and come off easily next Spring. If you keep them some may be fine and produce an extra crop, others will be sour and inedible. Closed eye varieties will have far better results. They go sour because an insect or water gets into the eye and deposits mold or fungus which grows in the fig. Most fig growers just pick them off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here