Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toffee_el

Trying to find a way to grow Lavender Provence in the desert?

toffee-el
10 years ago

I don't live in Arizona, but 2 hours away from the AZ/CA state border near Palm Desert. Being SoCal low desert, Lavenders are only used as winter annuals.

I am trying to figure out why they can't handle our climate. This is what I have read up:

1. It's the hot summer or the month after summer that they croaked.
2. Since they thrive in all months except summer, I assume our poor sandy soil isn't a problem, so long they drain fast enough.
3. So summer, is it the high temp day and night that killed them? Do they need cooler nights? Or the humidity?

I am thinking of finding a spot with only morning sun and ensure that the soil drains fast enough. Perhaps even is use cloth in the summer to reduce sun. That is how we grow sago palms and they do great.

Anyone got experience to share?

Comments (7)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Try morning sun or even in the light shade under a tree. Mulch heavily and use a drip system under the mulch for watering.

Your soil should be fine - it's getting fried by the sun what does them in, and being unable to suck up water faster than it leaves the plant.

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

I have lavender here in Camp Verde AZ. It gets plenty hot here and it also snows. I started with about 15 plants(bought in CA) in full sun running the length of a split rail fence. The first couple of years they did great, but after about 5 years they started to die back. The plants that did the best where named Canyon ? lavender, it has been a while. After 9 years I am down to 2 but I also found out life expectancy is only about 7years.

• toffee-el
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@campv,

I google mapped Camp Verde, you are in higher elevation and probably quite cold in the winter and also cooler in the summer. I envy that you get 5 good years out of your lavenders.

I think Palm Desert is closer in climate to Phoenix and Tucson? I don't if it was the summer heat and dryness that kills the lavenders or too much/not enough water that killed them.

One can experiment on the water and provide shade to minimize sun.

But if it was the low humidity, or lack of cooling off at night, or prolonged 110F were the culprit. Then it's no hope.

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

I'm in the heart of Phoenix. They are thriving year round in crazy desert sun and thru our winter chill without special protection. They are located on north side of house. Some get full az sun in the middle of garden{{gwi:807}} and some get partial sun. They spread easily for me by seed and cuttings. I don't water them much. They are mostly native soil. I do mulch them which I think is why they are doing well. I don't use any purchased fertilizer, but I have thrown compost around them. Try them. They smell great, drought tolerant, pretty and most people don't have them. They can take the heat and sun here. Mine are either English or Spanish lavender. I have tried Grosso variety imported from CA but it fried.

This post was edited by toucan on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 23:31

• toffee-el
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ toucan

Just checked USDA zoning, we are both in zone 9b. So I can certainly benefit from your experience.

How often do you water them in summer? When you do water, soak them?

What type of mulch do you use?

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

Maybe once or twice a week in the summer but it was pretty erratic. If I'm at home, I water deep and infrequently. If I'm on a trip I turn the system on for more frequent watering a since I can't hand supplement any that might need more. They are quite drought tolerant though. Last winter, I think I watered once a month.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH