Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtoucan

Garden soil delivery to Gilbert

newtoucan
11 years ago

I need a recommendation on someone or company who will deliver a good rich garden soil to me. Need about 2 yards. There are some advertised on Craigslist but not sure if they are good.

Comments (9)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

Sometimes I use Pioneer and usually get their sandy loam. Sometimes one-half with their compost mix. Sometimes Singh Farms at the 101 and Thomas. I prefer the 'fine' grade of whatever I get from Singh so I don't have to sift it myself. Edited to add that Singh Farms does not deliver, you would need a pickup truck to get the soil.

There's many other options, this is a good start though.

This post was edited by marymcp on Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 7:47

• trevorspop
    11 years ago

Ive tried the sandy loam mix from Pioneer landscaping too for my raised garden bed and have been pleased with it so far.

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any others?

• thisisme
    11 years ago

I have used sandy loam mix from Pioneer in my raised beds with excellent results. A few members have been to my place and dug in my beds or pulled a few weeds or plants or trees. Everyone who has, has commented on how nice my soul is. There prices are good too. Delivery of small loads really brings the price up though. In my case I had seven cubic yards delivered which qualified me for free delivery. The cost of delivery is equal to a couple yards of soil. I needed the full seven yards for my raised beds. If I had only needed five. I think I would have ordered the seven for the free delivery and just stored the rest next to the compost pile.

Here is a link that might be useful: My backyard

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

LOL, thisisme! "A few members have been to my place and dug in my beds or pulled a few weeds or plants or trees. Everyone who has, has commented on how nice my soul is." I'm willing to bet, based on your wonderful garden, that you do have a very nice "soul"!

• thisisme
    11 years ago

LOL!!! Thank you tomatofreak. I do spell check but I guess I forgot to proof read. I see the new edit feature is available. So I could go back and edit it but it's just to funny to edit. I hope everyone who reads it gets as good a laugh out of it as you and I did. lol

• klynn24
    11 years ago

Toucan, did you order sandy loam from Pioneer? If so, what is your opinion? I ordered sandy loam from Pioneer years ago and it was too fine (didn't detect mulch or manure)thus hard to wet down. I'm searching for a soil mix for my roses either to replace my native soil or a mix to amend the native soil. Does anyone grow roses and if so, what have you tried in the way of a bulk mix? Has anyone tried Western Organics? Thanks for any suggestions!

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Already tried sandy loam before. It's not so bad. You could try mixing manure in that you can get for free from many places. Someone recommended the b2 product from Gardeners World. I'm going to check that out. Actually I only really need 2 or 3 yards. That's why I didn't want to use Pioneer because the delivery fee alone is the equivalent of a couple yards. Plus someone once told me there was someone around Gilbert and they showed me the stuff in their garden and it looked really good. It was very dark and nice. Unfortunately I can't find that persons contact info anymore.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

When I pick up from Pioneer I like to mix a half yard of compost with a half yard of sandy loam mix. Works really well for me. We have an old 'farm truck' - '78 Ford 100 - and it's perfect for for this. Singh Farms bags their stuff in large burlap bags in addition to front loader scoops. Once home, this stuff is then dug in and mixed with the native soil and I've not experienced an inability for the soil to receive water. Disclaimer: I don't grow roses, this is all for the veggie garden.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists