Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richsd

lowest deset adapted trees for the future- my hopes

richsd
10 years ago

Like me, some of you may tire of the tried and true low desert adapted trees found throughout Phoenix (and to a lesser degree in Tucson and LV.) As much as love and respect palo verdes, ironwoods, mesquites, I wouldn't plant any these in my yard because they're so boringly common.

While these trees serve their function of durability and moderate attractiveness, I think the plant breeders and University staff need to do a lot more work to increase the various genus,species and (cultivar) varieties grown here.

Here are some of the qualities I'd like for new desert adapted trees for Phoenix: adaptability to alkaline soil without turning yellow and stunted; lush, full canopy that actually shades strees so kids can play in them; moderate to low water useage, and easy propagability. I realize we have so many negatives going against us (alkaline water/ soil, texas root rot, caliche soils. crazy monsoon winds.)

With this in mind, I've purchased some little known oaks species from Texas purported to handle high heat and allaline soils. we'll see fare. they're little sticks right now (but that's how I like buying my trees.)

For example, I've proven that with a little extra effort, crape myrtles can flourish in hot Phoenix, provided given water and nutrients as needed. I've ordered more varieties.

In summary, a city in my opinion is so much more interesting with a wide variety of tree species. I can't help think about Sacramento. That city truly loves their trees, and they good reason to be proud. Their tree species variety is incredible! While Sac certainly has better growing conditions than Phoenix does, they can teach us some valuable lessons.

When I try to get information on a University sponsored horticultural resouce, I generally don't bother with the UA website. California's resource is so vast compared to ours it doesn't even compare. Not to slam our State, but as we all know, it's all about money and economic importance. Arizona has NO money.

If fact, does Arizona even grow any commercial oranges anymore? I know they grow lemons (esp. around Yuma), but my hunch is that the difficulties of growing oranges here is just to great to make economic sense, so growers have just given up (die back, nematodes, chlorosis, water costs, land pressure issues, frosts.

Who has anything else to add? I haven't lived here for decades like some of u, so I'm no expert to AZ issues.

Comments (8)

• v8vega
    10 years ago

I just ordered 2 small Chestnut Oaks that I'm going to try out in the S.E. corner of the state. This is high desert, but still a tough area to adapt trees.

• fabaceae_native
    10 years ago

I also get bored with the same old tree choices where I live, and there are always more possibilities than what you see every day... but the mainstays are so common because they are so well adapted.

I hate to say it, but I don't think there are any trees with a lush full canopy of leaves that won't use quite a bit of water in the low desert. If you go to any good desert arboretum you will likely see dozens and dozens more species than the ones you mentioned, but many will share certain characteristics of those mainstay natives you mentioned.

What is interesting is that I live in Northern NM where there are plenty of nice shade/climbing trees to choose from, but I find myself yearning for the desert look of palo verdes, etc... It is too cold here for anything like that except desert willow and honey mesquite, which is borderline. Now I pretty much plant fruiting trees only, so it the point is moot anyway...

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

I also get bored with desert trees. I have some non-desert trees in my yard that are great here: Hong Kong Orchid and other bauhinias, purple leaf plum, eryinthia (sp), mimosa, tabebuia impetiginosa and a couple others I can't remember the name of. Of course I also like desert trees, but the gravel, desert tree look you see everywhere gets pretty old.

I purposely bought a house in a non HOA neighborhood so I could do what I wanted with my yard.

• richsd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your reply posts to my comment, everyone.

I'll keep you posted how my Texas oaks do in this oven climate.

By the way, as many of you know, ASU campus has a lot of trees of various types. I guess they're our (Phx's) closest example of an arboretum in the Phx area outside of Boyce, which is a different climate (cooler) than Phx area.

Today I'm having my towering Mexican fan palm cut down. I can't stand the constant upkeep the HOA requires, and from street level, it just looks like a telephone pole anyway. These trees belong along avenues and in big parks, not tiny suburban lots IMO.

Vega, I've never heard of Chestnut Oaks. I'll research them.
    BTW, do you own a V8 Vega? way cool.

When I'm considering oaks (or other non-natives for this area) to try, I see what grows in similarly hot climates with alkaline soil. That's why I've zero-ed in on central and west Texas. Not as dry as us, however.

No one commented on my opinion that the Univ. of Ariz isn't a very thorough resource for urban gardeners. Have they ever introduced any plants to commerce?? Seems other states have much better State Ag/ Horticulture programs than AZ.

• aztreelvr
    10 years ago

Local plant propagators have made giant strides over the last 40 years to introduce a wide variety of species that can handle our salty soils, challenging climate, indigenous pests and diseases, as well as brutal maintenance practices by some landscapers.

Mountain States Wholesale Nursery in Litchfield Park is one. Just take a look at their web site and you'll find trees (65), shrubs (120), groundcovers (21), grasses (22), vines (6), succulents and accents (74), perennials (48), cactus. New introductions are being tested all the time.

Other growers include Arid Zone Trees, Arizona Wholesale Growers, Desert Tree Farm, etc. The University of Arizona does research on salinity tolerance, diseases, cold resistance, water demands, etc., but leaves the introduction of new species up to the commercial growers.

Here's a link to a database with over 600 desert-adapted plants including 128 trees. Some that might interest you include Silk Floss, Jujube, Carob, or Chinese Pistache.

BTW, oranges are easy to grow here but as land became more and more valuable, taxes increased and the costs to pump or buy water to irrigate orchards became prohibitive, owners sold their land.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Wise Plant Database

• v8vega
    10 years ago

Hey Rich. Yes, I've been playing with Vegas since the 80's & currently have a 72 GT.
    I second the Jujubes, but they look like a desert tree. I've planted them on my land & they see water every 6-8 weeks. They root fast & deep.
    One thing you need to check is the caliche layer in your soil. You will most likely need to punch/drill a hole through it for drainage and/or to let the roots grow down. Also, if you don't punch through it, salts will build up. I learned this the hard way.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• richsd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was a good post IMO. I got a lot of important info from everyone.

Yes, I've used a rental jackhammer to break caliche several years ago. Good reminder on this problem.

I wasn't aware some HOAs here are limiting what tree species homeowners can plant. I'll have to read my CC & Rs (oops).
    My HOA's common areas are planted with about 5 species of trees- boring...

• fanocle
    10 years ago

Intersting points. I would also try texas laurel. I am sure many of you already have it? It looks less like a desert tree and has beautiful blooms though it is a slow grower.

A question on caliche...how deep do I need to worry about and try to break?

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County