Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The land of Agave parryi

Posted by GermanStar 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 17:47

Lots of habitat shots feature mountains, pine forest, snow, Yucca baccata, Dasylirion wheeleri, a few assorted cacti, and of course the star of our show. Yes folks, this is an Arizona native.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave Wonderland

This post was edited by GermanStar on Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 21:59

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The land of Agave parryi

Wow, so great to see! Thanks for taking the time/effort to post and share them. So fun! I know so many of the agaves that thrive in the low desert are from slightly higher up--these pics are awesome! Every time I drive up and over past Globe etc I get envious of all of the agaves, desert spoon, etc on the hills. Thanks for the eye candy, keep it coming! Happy gardening, and happy photographing!

o

Thanks Grant, that was what I call a fun morning! Of course, the only reason any Agaves thrive in the low desert is that we supply them with water, shade or both. With very few exceptions, Agaves are denizens of altitude, as you suggest. Interesting how rare A. chrysantha is in the trade, yet they exist in AZ in untold numbers. Tough to figure that one...

o

Yup, so true isn't it? I do love agaves, although I hate seeing them planted in absolute hot full sun without even occasional water. Mine are in full hot sun, but I DO splash them with water every couple of weeks. Same with golden barrel cacti, they need SOME extra water to look decent, LOL. Thanks again for the pics, so nice! Happy gardening!

o

More habitat shots feature A. toumeyana, A. chrysantha, and some fabulous cacti! This trip was my xmas present to myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave Wonderland II

o

GS, thanks for sharing these photos, greatly appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here