Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New apple tree leaves browning...help!

Posted by momwithaplan AZ (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 19, 11 at 18:04

I planted an apple tree this past spring and it did great all through the summer and even produced three apples! I have fertilized it with an apple tree fertelizer a couple of months ago and we have continued to water it keeping the same frequency as my veggie garden. The leaves are now turning brown on the edges.

Should I be covering it at night? What temp do I do that at?

Should I fertelize again? I have compost I can use...

How often should we be watering it now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I want this tree to get big so my grandkids can pick apples with me but I have no idea what I'm doing :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New apple tree leaves browning...help!

Don't worry, it is completely normal. Apple trees go dormant during the winter. They'll shed all of their leaves and stop growing during these cold months. It'll wake back up next spring.

o
RE: New apple tree leaves browning...help!

Totally normal. Don't fertilize and don't cover it. Cut watering back to once every 2-3 weeks. If it where an older tree that had been in the ground for a few years you would be cutting the watering back even more than that. Just leave it alone and let nature take its course.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here