Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
every1lovesjoey_

California Pepper Tree

every1lovesjoey_
11 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with the California Pepper Tree? It was recommended to me by a local nursery in lieu of a Weeping Willow. Is it a messy tree? Poisonous to dogs?

Comments (11)

• aztreelvr
    11 years ago

California pepper (a native of Peru) are dioecious, meaning there are male and female plants. The female trees produce seed containing an allergenic substance that can irritate the mucus membrane.

These trees typically struggle in the metro Phoenix area but do better in Tucson.

I'd opt for a Desert Willow. Stunning pink flowers from May - October, attract hummingbirds, doves love the small seeds, doesn't need much maintenance. I love the silouette of the branches against the winter sky.

• every1lovesjoey_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you I appreciate your feedback. I do have a Desert Willow and love it! I'm looking for a large dramatic tree in the middle of my yard to shade the yard and create a focal point.

• plstqd
    11 years ago

Our neighbor had a pepper tree that overhung our patio. We loved it for the dappled shade and the privacy from his second story windows, but it was definitely a messy tree, with constant leaf and small branch drop, and blossom drop in the spring. Every year there was at least one major branch that died back and had to be cut off, and finally last year, the dieback overwhelmed the tree and he had to take it out. I don't think he took very good care of it (you'll notice the green part of the tree was overlooking our yard, where it actually got water).

I miss the tree, but I don't miss the mess and the constant dieback, and I certainly wouldn't plant one where I had to clean up after it.

{{gwi:427078}}

• every1lovesjoey_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the photo! It looked like it could have been a beautiful tree.

• aztreelvr
    11 years ago

What about a thornless Honey Mesquite?? The leaves are very similar to California Pepper but it never has the yellow / chlorotic look of the pepper. It has a graceful, weeping form and will grow to the size you indicate you want.

Here's a link to the one grown by Mountain States Wholesale Nursery in the west valley.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thornless Honey Mesquite

• every1lovesjoey_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation. That's a great option!

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

I don't know of anything I don't have mixed feelings about.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One person not liking this or that is their deal. Not something I put a lot of stock in.

Whether a plant is good or bad depends way more on the gardener than the plant imo.

• jenbp
    8 years ago

Neighbor's pepper tree makes my backyard messy and it's next to our yard drain hole. Tried growing flowers in my raised - brick - bed and I think the droppings are killing my seeds from sprouting. Any suggests to grow under this pepper tree?

• aztreelvr
    8 years ago

Droppings from the tree are not a problem and can be added to a compost pile or turned into the soil. What I see as an issue are the sprinklers you are using to water. Try drip irrigation instead. It puts water at the soil surface and not into the air where half of it evaporates. Spay on the wall will eventually degrade the mortar and bricks. Here's a link to information - there are several brands available at home improvement stores or nurseries http://www.rainbird.com/homeowner/products/drip/EmitterTubing.htm

• jenbp
    8 years ago

I've turned off the sprinklers for this area since I'm not seeding anything right now. Moved into this house three years ago and not familiar with sprinklers very much. I've tried growing spring flower bulbs but they only survive open in one day and they deteriorate and turn brown and withered. I recently through in peat moss, compost, and garden soil and threw in Ortho bug-b-gone and insect killer pellets since we had rain yesterday and today. Prepping to throw in 'Made for Shade' seed packet from Botanical Gardens brand.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022