Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kccav

The Official: AZ Passiflora addicts thread

kccav
13 years ago

They make the most exotic beautiful flowers. Also most passifloras are hardy to AZ weather. Some need extra attention do to Too hot and cold weather. They are probably my favorite plant to grow from seed or starter plant.Last Spring Grew Lilikoi,

Maypop, Giant Granadilla, Panama Red, Kahuna, Frederick, Wild Water lemon from seed. They all made it through the summer and range from 2 foot to over 6 foot. Had to give them afternoon shade though. Have starter plants that I ordered online about 4 months ago that probably more than quadruplygrown ie., Carulea, Coriacea, Ruby Red, Panda, Kewensis, Crimson Tears. I have a Jennifer Grace, Alata carulea, and Aurantia that are sort of struggling. I've learned that you have to go outside every other day to kill the Frutillary catepillars when the plants are young or they will kill the young unestablished vines. Enough about me. What is everyone else growing passiflora wise and share your experiences.

Comments (3)

• agility_mom
    13 years ago

I planted a Frederick last Spring on the East side of a Gazebo. It went from a 5 gallon plant to a good sized vine that covers a 5' X 10' area. The thing is solid vine. I have only had 1 flower and fruit (which a bird got). This past summer it was watered every other day. This summer I am hoping to lengthen that interval out a bit.
    Right now I have C7 Christmas lights around the bottom area and a cloth covering standing by to cover the base in case of a hard frost. During this last frost, the only damage that it got was to a few top leaves.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

I love passion flowers too, though I only have one half-performing 'Incense' that I purchased years ago (I hadn't been good about dealing with the caterpillars so it's my fault, not the plants). I have a very sturdy iron arbor that I'm thinking of switching over to passion flowers. I do love their foliage and blooms, and I don't mind a FEW of the caterpillars now and then.

I've heard so many times that they are hard to start from seed and that they have a very random germination rate. It sounds like you've got a way to overcome it? I've read and heard to soak the seeds in something acidic like lemon juice overnight. Any tips for seed starting?

Great plants though. I really should be growing more of them, so thanks for highlighting them.

Take care,
    Grant

• kccav
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is the Incense getting enough sunlight in summer? If catepillars are desimating your plants, you may have to pick them off everyday until plant can rebound. I love butterflies but they can do a number on your vine. You are right germination of seeds is very sparse and random. but the seeds online are very cheap. You only need a few of each variety to germinate. I have a very simple cheap set up in my tool shed. I have cheap flourescent 48" lights, heat pads hooked up to a heat thermometer, and those cheap plastic covered seedling trays. The trick is once the seedlings get a second set of leaves take them out of trays then acclimate them in bright window or AZ room, for a couple a weeks then outside with only morning sun in Spring. I've learned the hardway leaving seedlings in seedling trays to long and they grow week stems fall over and die.
    A. Mom keep us posted on your P. Frederick. I know they are a little more cold sensitive then some hardy P. vines. Lol, bird got your sole fruit. Iam sure you will get a lot more fruit next season when your plant is more established. It may die back all the way to ground in Winter but will hopefully come back in Spring like most Passi's.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES