Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kccav

White Sopate Tree is a no fuss tree

kccav
13 years ago

About 4 years ago,I with permission took a fruit of the White Sapote tree they used to have growing from the AZ Rare Fruit Growers garden. It has now since been cut down. I took the seeds out and now the tree is a little over six feet tall. Can take the AZ summers and winters without a sweat. I know the fruit may be subpar but, back then I couldn't afford to buy a grafted tree. I now will not plant a tree unless grafted or if tree fruit comes true to seed. This tree is very suitable for people that don't have a green thumb in my experience. Please share your experience with this tree or any other tropical fruit tree you have. If you have pics to post that would be nice.

Comments (16)

• agility_mom
    13 years ago

White Sapote is on my "to get" list. I want a Sue Belle.

I agree, grafted is the way to go. Not only is is good because it's true to type but usually you get fruit sooner than with a seed grown plant. That's a plus for impatient people like me :)

I haven't even tasted a Sapote yet but I'll try it anyway. It sounds good. Have you tasted them?

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Nice! I bought my first one at the recent AZ Rare Fruit Growers' Sale. It's in the ground and settling in nicely. It's only about 6 inches tall but it looks good so far.

They were nice enough to include two white sapote fruit with it and I ate both of them, LOL. They were good! I did plant the seeds in pots indoors just for fun (no sign of life yet).

I've read similar reviews to your experience that they are very vigorous in our climate. I sure hope so. The large trees at the County Cooperative Extension Office look nice and vigorous and the foliage is great.

I refuse to cover anything in my garden--I hope my little baby makes it.

Thanks for the fun thread,
    Grant

• kccav
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you want to sample the fruit A. Mom, I know they sell it at Super L Ranch market on 44th street at the Chinese Cultural Center. It's
    really sweet and has a custardy texture. Basically taste like sugar in custard form. Tastes best if refrigerate first. Sometimes you will get fruit with a mild mild acidic after taste and sometimes not at the L Market. I hear ya' Agility on getting grafted for guaranteed quality and quicker fruiting. I know you can get em online for descent prices. Also I reccomend taking a look at other fruits they sell a L Market. They sell fruits like Cherimoya's, Longans, Jackfruit,Lychees, Durian, etc.. of course will find them only when in season.

• agility_mom
    13 years ago

I'll check out some of the Asian markets to sample some of these fruits. It's always nice to taste it before you grow it.
    Although that doesn't always stop me from planting it.
    I think I'll pass on the Durian.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Just a quick update: my little plant I purchased is still looking good and the seed I planted from the fruit they gave me with is has sprouted (it took a month with bottom heat). I know, I know, it's a total gamble, but I'm glad it sprouted and I'll give it a good spot in the garden IF it makes it.

Hope the baby one does well too.

Take care all,
    Grant

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

The small sapote from the rare fruit growers' sale that I planted in my garden looks totally unbothered by the recent cold I'm pleased to report. They may become my favorite fruit tree, so watch out citrus, LOL.

My little seedling indoors is making slow/steady progress too. I get him in the ground some time this spring.

Take care,
    Grant

• euqruob
    13 years ago

There is a very large mature White Sapote tree on the ASU Tempe campus. Its located in the "Secret Garden" which is the prettiest place on campus, but its hidden, and few people know about it.

If you want directions, I can provide it, its an amazing little oasis in a sea of noise, and it is filled with all kinds of interesting plants.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Euqruob, you've got mail. I'd love to get directions. Thanks!

Grant
    (grant_in_arizona@yahoo.com)

• euqruob
    13 years ago

Grant, I sent you a mail a few days back, not sure if it got to you.

You can find Secret garden on a google map of ASU, its in the courtyard that is fronted on the E. by West Hall. Across from Channel 8. To get in, you walk down the ramps on the N or S side, go under the building, and come up in the garden. Sapote tree is in NE corner of the garden.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting the directions--I didn't see your email so thanks for the extra effort! I printed your notes and a map so I'll check it out in a weekend soon. Anything else noteworthy in the planting?

I potted up my little sapote seedling by the way--it's going to catch up to the one I purchased soon. It's not a fair comparison of course since the seedling is indoors in a very warm sunny window and the little purchased plant is outside.

Take care,
    Grant

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

I took the self-guided ASU garden walk this weekend and I made a side trip to the Secret Garden too. Here's a pic of the sapote tree. Thanks for the tip--the secret garden had a lot of neat plants blooming away (bananas, popcorn cassia, spider lily crinums, etc).

Sapote tree in Secret Garden on ASU campus:

{{gwi:427090}}

Take care,
    Grant

• agility_mom
    13 years ago

Thanks for the picture. It looks like it gives a pretty dense shade.
    I am going to get one of these even though I haven't been able to find a fruit to taste.

• euqruob
    13 years ago

BTW Secret Garden is one of the nicest spots in town.

If you geocache, I have one hidden there.

• nimbley
    13 years ago

I had been looking for a white sapote for two years now and just found a grafted suebelle at home depot of all places last week. It is about 3' tall and was only $20. It was the last one they had or I would have gotten more. I still haven't decided where to plant it so it's still on my patio, but has a bunch of new growth on it in the last week. My understanding is that they are as hardy as a citrus tree.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Neat! I saw some grafted ones at Home Depot too. I was tempted to take mine out and replace it, LOL, since I don't think the one I got at the rare fruit grower's sale is grafted, but I've grown attached to it so it's here to stay, even if it never makes quailty fruit. :) I was tempted though. Good luck with yours--keep us posted!

Take care,
    Grant

• brisly76
    10 years ago

I got a grafted mcdill from tropicamango. It's grown about two feet since I put it in the ground in February. I put a shade cloth up once the temp went above 100 and it started to get brown everywhere. It's a fast grower and hope that I can get one or two fruits off it next year.