Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kccav

The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread

kccav
13 years ago

Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody wants to share a pic of their tropical fruit trees or their thoughts and experiences on what you are growing ie.,how well your tree does in are AZ environment. Iam growing a Bailey's Marvel and Manila mango tree, just planted in June. Protected it against last weeks freeze and future freezes. A mexican guava seedling, about 5 foot tall I got from AZ Rare Fruit Growers plant sale last year. Papaya trees from seed that are about 4 foot tall now and also protected from last weeks freeze and future freezes. Starfruit also does well here.

Comments (70)

• phxplantaddict
    12 years ago

Have not

• amrkhalido
    12 years ago

Thanks phxplantaddict :D

• Kristen_keepahead_org
    12 years ago

I live in Carefree, a microclimate a bit cooler than downtown Phoenix -- 2400 feet.

I took down a few large eucalyptus trees on the south side of the drive and the subsequent sun is overwhelming. One of the larger trees removed was planted in an impression about six feet lower than the surrounding area, in a circle about 50 feet in diameter. In this impression, I'd like to plant a new tree that grows very large and provides shade. I'm thinking that the lowness of the impression will pool cold air in the winter, so a tree that is cold-hardy and wind-tolerant would be best. I'd love to grow a fig, for example. Any recommendations as to fig variety or other fruit trees?

Also, will a loquat thrive up here?

• phxplantaddict
    12 years ago

Loquat would do very well. Cold hardy down to 10. Delicious too. Also green timber bamboo

• azbookworm
    12 years ago

How do your tropicals handle this hot sun? I have a couple of avocado plants in containers and they could not handle direct sun. I had to put them under the patio cover. We want to be able to plant inground soon but ???

• azbookworm
    12 years ago

I finally pulled my container Avocado plants indoors. 1 is almost dead. The other two are suffering. I hope to give them a chance to leaf out again.

• euqruob
    12 years ago

Lost one of my passion fruit, it was quite large, last summer it survived by climbing into a neighbor's tree, this year I had it trellised against the wall, got too hot for it. What is really growing well is Mexican Papaya, very happy with its growth. I've started several Taro plants, beautiful leaves. Got some ginger growing, and have some yellow and some blue ginger planted. Bamboo put out a massive shoot, 3 weeks and about 7.5 feet tall and growing....

• phxplantaddict
    12 years ago

You can come see my avocado trees in pots and ground. There are some tricks to growing them here that the nurserys dont know. Where did you get yours? Come over anytime 602-434-5641

• azbookworm
    12 years ago

Grown from store bought fruit. One is from FL. Other two are from CA.

You know...put seed in glass of water and watch it grow. Moved the plants from VA to AZ. Kept them indoors 1st summer. Outdoors during winter. All good. I was wondering if they would be able to handle the hotter temps.

I keep talking to them. Maybe they'll be ok. ;-)

• AZSandman
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I've been gleaning quite a bit of good info over the past few years, so I figured it's time to join in! This looks like a great thread to revive and post a couple of questions.

Does anyone have any experience with growing Jamacian cherries (Muntingia calabura) in the Phoenix area? I'm looking at planting some new trees, and this one really sounds interesting. I'm mostly wondering how well it handles the scorching summers, and how mature such a tree needs to be so that it's not so cold-tender (i.e. too large to cover).

Also, has anyone had successful experience growing Surinam cherries (Eugenia uniflora) in Phoenix? I had one for two years a few years back, but I think the sun got to it. I'm hoping to learn from that and any tips, and try one again this year.

I am looking to plant both of these trees in the ground - the first one in the open (no shade), the second one under some filtered shade of a large mesquite tree. There are a lot of other subtropical trees that sound just a bit too tender for our winters, but I may get brave enough to try them eventually. I do have a 4-year old loquat, and am planting 2 mangos. Also I'm trying "companion planting" with 3 guava (Psidium guajava) varieties.

Thanks for your time! Now to find the fig forum.....

Rob

• phxplantaddict
    12 years ago

As far as tropical cherries go I grow Surinam, Pitomba, cherry of the rio grande, and Barbados. Some 2 ft. some 8 ft big bushes.

• AZSandman
    12 years ago

Oh good. So it sounds like they've been growing well if they're up to 8' tall. I'm going to plant 1-2 under a mesquite tree, later this year. Hopefully the filtered light will make the summer more bearable. And if they're not too tall, I can cover them pretty easily when it gets cold. I believe they're cold hardy down to the upper 20s? Does the fruit taste good? It looks tasty in the photos I've seen online.

• AZSandman
    12 years ago

Oh good. So it sounds like they've been growing well if they're up to 8' tall. I'm going to plant 1-2 under a mesquite tree, later this year. Hopefully the filtered light will make the summer more bearable. And if they're not too tall, I can cover them pretty easily when it gets cold. I believe they're cold hardy down to the upper 20s? Does the fruit taste good? It looks tasty in the photos I've seen online.

• zone10aridgardener
    12 years ago

Guamuchil
    Lemon
    Orange
    10 different dragon fruit plants
    Gold finger banana
    Pomegranate
    Loquat
    Pineapple guava
    Grape
    Nectarine
    Honeydew
    Watermelon
    Passion fruit
    Blackberry
    Guava
    Plum

• azbookworm
    10 years ago

Pineapple plants?!?! Shade or full sun??

I have one growing in the house. Need to transplant into bigger pot or outside. I grew it from a store bought fruit top.

Please advise. Thanks!

• azbolt
    10 years ago

Pineapple should do ok with some sun, I have some growing on the east side of my house where they get morning and early afternoon sun, then shade the rest of the day.

Kevin

• nickw252
    10 years ago

I have 2 rajapuri bananas I planted this spring. They've grown a lot since planting them but sure don't like the hot sun. I'll post pics soon.

• calb_gardner
    10 years ago

I just put up a post regarding a low litter tree to put by my pond area. I also Have One navel orange, a Mexican key-lime , A mission fig and a Guava growing in my yard. A Large tropical tree would be fantastic over there. What would your best suggestions be. Thank you very much

• ra
    10 years ago

You could try a Loquat. Although it would take years for it to grow large. It's got big leaves, put out great tasting fruit, plus the cold here will not be a problem at all. It can withstand temps in the low 20s without protection. It'll need some sun protection during the summer though for the first few years.

• nickw252
    10 years ago

Rajapuri banana. I planted it this spring. It's about 4 ft tall.

• nickw252
    10 years ago

Other Rajapuri banana. I planted it this spring. It's also about 4 ft tall.

• euqruob
    10 years ago

I bought a Rajapuri a few months ago, it had 3 pups! Just separated 2 of them and replanted. Last one needs to grow a bit. The Raja grows very fast...great banana.

• jacaranda4321
    10 years ago

Bump

• jacaranda4321
    10 years ago

Tropical plants

• tamtrible
    10 years ago

I recently planted a post asking about my lychee seedling, mango seedling, and young pomegranate tree and a low-light spot in my front yard. If anyone has advice...

Here is a link that might be useful: the post in question

• ra
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bumping this post up. How's everyone's tropical fruit trees/plants doing? Any updates on the Raja puri bananas? I have a small pup that I got this past fall plant sale. I'm still debating on where to plant it. All my other bananas are doing great, getting lots of new big leaves on them. Should I separate the pups from the mother corm? I have at least five in each corm that I have and most are over 6-7ft tall.

I'd like to see some of your guys' trees. It's always fun and encouraging to see other people's mature tropical fruit trees doing well here in the valley.

• ra
    9 years ago

Shamus is opening this coming weekend by the way. He's gonna have a lot of new tropical fruit trees available. I'm thinking of grabbing a Aravaipa Avocado from him and try it out. So far from what I've heard that this variety does well here in Arizona. It takes the heat pretty well according to him. He sold out of them last fall, and they might go quick again this spring.

• asudevil311 - zone 9b
    9 years ago

When are you going?

• azbolt
    9 years ago

Shamus?

• ra
    9 years ago

Saturday is when he reopens, so there's probably going to be a lot of people there. But I'll try to swing by after work.

• ra
    9 years ago

Here's the link to his facebook page. "Like" it, he regularly updates it and shows what he has in stock. He sells all kinds of different tropical plants and fruit trees that we wouldn't normally find at local nurseries. Very reasonable prices too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shamus-OLearys-Tropical-Fruit-Trees/469661096392272

• cwlucking
    9 years ago

So, is the address on the Facebook page (3601 W Kings Ave, Phoenix) the address of the nursery? It looks like a residence on googlemaps.

• ra
    9 years ago

yes that's the address. he operates from his backyard. The time he's open varies, so I would ask him on there or text/call him before coming over. But this coming Saturday and Sunday he's open from 10am-3pm

• cwlucking
    9 years ago

So, did anyone here score one of the Aravaipa Avocados?
    I got a Ruby Supreme Guava and a starfruit tree. What an extraordinary place Shamus has!! I

• ra
    9 years ago

I wasn't able to go because of work. I'll try and swing by there sometime this week though.

• cwlucking
    9 years ago

Anyone know where in town to get a Mexican Cream guava? Shamus only has (or had) huge ones - too big for me.

• ra
    9 years ago

what size are you looking for? Lowes and HD sometimes gets them, i would check with them to see when they get any guavas. Each location is different too. I've seen some Red Malaysian ones last year at the lowes in Lake pleasant area. OR you can ask Shamus to stock up on smaller size next time he goes over to Florida.

Speaking of Shamus, I went by there a few days ago and picked me up a 7gal Coconut Cream Mango:

I was wanting a Lemon Zest Mango also but he ran out of the 7gal size, all he had left were small 3gal.

• cwlucking
    9 years ago

Beautiful tree! Are you going to put it in the ground?

• ra
    9 years ago

yeah, just like my other mango 'alphonso' tree. I'm currently digging a large hole and mixing up some nice good soil for it.

• kongadong
    8 years ago

here are some pics of typical fruit you can grow and what it will look like

• cwlucking
    8 years ago

You list Plumeria - is it fruiting? I always presumed just beautiful flowers. Second question: Peruvian Apple Cactus - what's the fruit like on these? Can you just eat it off the cactus or must one cook it or process it in some way? Thanks for contributing to this very-slow-moving forum!

• grant_in_arizona
    8 years ago

GREAT new pics, Kong, thanks for posting them. You have some wonderful producers there! Thanks for letting us all enjoy them!

• kongadong
    8 years ago

No sorry the Plumeria I just threw it in there because it is very pretty when it blooms

• kongadong
    8 years ago

here are some more pics of friut

• John Lui
    8 years ago

How's the taste on your pineapple guavas? and what variety do you have?

• grant_in_arizona
    8 years ago

Awesome new pics, Kong, I love them! Thanks for sharing the bounty with us!

• Alma Williams
    8 years ago

Is that last photo of a Pakistan mulberry? If so - or not - can you say more about it, please. How does the fruit taste, how do you harvest berries, etc..

• jrpace35
    8 years ago

I'm addicted !

i have a very small backyard so most of my trees are in large pots , some for 3 years .

I live in Gold Canyon (east valley

(most are 2-3 years old already and many are fruiting )

here is what I have :

Anna Apple

orange

li jujube

pinapple guava

5 ice cream banana trees

pomegranite

blackberry bush

Pink guava

white sapote

Glenn mango

coconut mango

loquat

acerola bush

lemon

elderberry bush

moringa

mexicola avacado

Addicted ! Yes ! I love it !

they grow just fine here . Just take some time and care .