Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread

Posted by kccav (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 19:15

Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody wants to share a pic of their tropical fruit trees or their thoughts and experiences on what you are growing ie.,how well your tree does in are AZ environment. Iam growing a Bailey's Marvel and Manila mango tree, just planted in June. Protected it against last weeks freeze and future freezes. A mexican guava seedling, about 5 foot tall I got from AZ Rare Fruit Growers plant sale last year. Papaya trees from seed that are about 4 foot tall now and also protected from last weeks freeze and future freezes. Starfruit also does well here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread

Don't be sorry! It is nice to have some fresh posts. Of course I am partial to this topic since it my newest garden focus.
The Tropical plants that I am growing are 14 various citrus trees, Dragonfruit, Papaya, 3 different varieties of bananas, some pineapples that I started, 2 different white Guavas, 2 Surinam Cherry Bushes, 2 Cherry of the Rio Grande, a Frederick Passion fruit, a Glenn Mango, a Mexicola Avocado, A Kari Starfruit, a Jelly Palm, A Big Jim Loquat, a Li Jujube and an Allspice bush. Of course that's not counting the Bouganvillas and Lantanas.
I just started planting this stuff last Spring and did some more planting this fall. I protected some of the things that I planted by using shade cloth for their first summer. As soon as they are older and my micro-climates mature, I shouldn't have to do that. It wasn't a big deal though and everything came through the summer beautifully.
It has been a lot of work to set up the frost protection but now that I have it set up, it's easy.
Since it's a relatively new pursuit, I don't have much to report but I love to hear from the people that are experienced with tropical plants since it is kind of like blazing new trails. I need all of the help that I can get.
kccav, do you have a wish list for more tropical, fruiting plants?

o

I have an Edulis and Frederick Passion fruit, 6 dragon fruit (1 rosa, 3 red, 2 white), 1 Ice Cream Banana, 1 Manila Mango (still not planted), 6 Bamboo (2 Buddah's Belly, 1 Giant Timber, 1 Golden Goddess, 1 Silverstripe and 1 Alphonse Karr),4 Plumeria, 1 Surinam Cherry and 1 Sanguinelli Blood Orange.

More to come.

o

Jaboticaba(3-10 year old, 16-2 year old), 112 plumeria, 14 15-30 foot green timber bamboo, lots of bananas, mangos,guavas(pink, white,yellow,large african red), 25 avocados, surinam and rio grande cherry, loquat, longan, lychee, sugarcane, persimmon, coffee, silk floss tree, ice cream bean tree, passion fruit, cherimoya, atemoya, mulberry, dragonfruit, 16 champaca trees, starfruit, jackfruit, pineapple, gardenia, mandevilla, angels trumpet, goji berry, carob, black and white sapote, curry, jujube, gum tree,

o

phxplantaddict are you the one who host the phoenix tropicals website? If so that is the site and the AZRFG orginazation that got me thinkin' it can be a reality in AZ to grow tropicals here. Your list of plants is huge! Maybe you can post a link to your utube yard vids here. Man, that is so cool that there other people like us out here in this hot desert that are making are own tropical paradise reality for ourselves here. I'm impressed by all your trop. plants everybody!!

A. Mom , you know how it is. You have a little success with one tropical plant, then you want them all. Lately I'm really into Bahinea Blackinea, Getting more different varieties of mangoes. I'm really into Passi's. now. Thank you for asking. If anyone has pics of their plants please post on here so we can all enjoy and comment on.

o

phxplantaddict, you have several of the plants on my wish list!

I love the Phoenix Tropicals site. It is great to see someone successfully growing the tropicals. On the Tropica Mango site there are pictures and videos too.

o

Hello ,
Read that someone might have yellow Jaboticaba seed and wonder If you would consider parting with a few seeds
Ursula
culejools@yahoo.ca

o

I have 10 Avocados, 2 on Zutano rootstock & 8 on Lula. I'm letting one of them carry a few fruit for the first time this year. 5 Royal Lee cherries & 2 Minnie Royal cherries on both Mazzard & the new dwarfing rootstock C3R178 which is the most vigorous thing in the yard so far this year. I hope it holds up in the heat. I had a few cherries last year, but am really excited about them with this new rootstock. Cocktail trees of apple, asian pear & peach. Desert Delight & Snow Queen nectarine. Santa Rosa, Burgandy, Methley & Inca plums. Pink Lady apple. Misty, O'neil, Sharp Blue and Sunshine Blue blueberries. Dwarf Cavendish banana. Lisbon Lemon, Bearss Lime, Tangelo & W. Murcott citrus. Four or five varieties of seedless grapes. I lost a Nam Doc Mai Mango in the freeze this winter, even though it was covered. It's like a fever, one you get started, its hard to stop. The grandkids love the fruit though.

o
RE: Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread

Oh yeah, I left out Spice Zee Necta-Plum. I heard they were tasty. I planted it bare root this year. I think I might be a plant hoarder..........

o

Dawg, I am trying the Minnie Royal and Royal Lee on Mazzard too. So far, so good. I am getting my west side shade set ups ready to help them and all of my other new plants make it through the first two summers.
I didn't get the M.R. and R.L. cherry trees on the dwarfing root stock but I did get a Stella and Lapins Cherries as dwarfs.
Luckily, I didn't have any cold damage to most of my tropical fruiting plants. They were covered to the ground and had old fashioned Christmas lights on them or at the base for supplemental heat.
I also planted a Spice Zee but it never leafed out so the nursery is to get me another for next Spring. Please let me know how that one does.

o

My Spice-Zee was one of the last things to bloom & still hasn't completely leafed out. I won't let it carry fruit this year, but I am liking the leaf colors. It definitely stands out. I think it comes on citation which is not the best of rootstocks for dry climates. I know the only cherry I lost was the Zee Stem on Citation. I also tried to plant them without shade on the west which I'm sure was a big contributor, but the Mazzard ones did survive. The ones on the new dwarfing stock are really loving life so far. I have three of them and they are way ahead of the four Mazzard as far as new growth is concerned. I can't imagine that they will only get 8-9' without pruning, they have already grown 18" since I put them in the ground in January.

o

I have 5 varieties of Bamboo, several dragon fruit, manilla mango, frederick and edulis passion fruit (blooming now), blood orange, suriname cherry, dwarf cavendish banana and some Hawaiian papaya seedlings going. Want to plant longan and starfruit! Also have some plumeria that have awakened from the dead.

o

I have never seen a Spice Zee tree but by the description, it sounds gorgeous.
Growing 18" does sound like a lot for a dwarf.

So far this Spring the tropical or unusual plants that I have added are Sherwood Jujube, Suebelle White Sapote, Goji, Manila Mango, 2 Timotayo Mangoes, a Gold Nugget Mango, a Pickering Mango, Trovita Orange, an Izu Persimmon and 3 figs, Black Jack, Kadota and a Panache Tiger.

o

I have two dragonfruit cacti (dark star, purple haze) tropic pink guava which has been in the ground for a month and is already blooming :) flame seedless grape, southern belle nectarine, manila mango, and a puple passion fruit.

Has anyone gotten fruit from dragon fruit here?

o

I have. Dragonfruit fruits best with filtered sun and a support. Little water

o

Good because thats what I have been doing. What variety do you have and how does it taste?

o

Hey guys,

What varieties of lychee and jackfruit and longan goes well with the little humidity and the hot dry weather you have ,,

I live in Egypt and face lots of hot and dry weather that is killing my lychees and longan ,, and it seem we share the same weather ,,

Any suggestions ,,

Thanks, Amr

o

Our winter gets the jackfruit. Kohala longan do very well here, can pretty much be neglected. Brewster lychee does so-so. LOTS OF MULCH!

o

Thanks phxplantaddict ,,

You mean that jackfruit survives hot and dry ,,
And lychee brewster is the only variety that can be grown ,,

Amr

o

I mean that those are my personal experience. I have not tried the other lychee types

o

Have u heard about Kaimana variety ,,

Amr

o

Have not

o

Thanks phxplantaddict :D

o

I live in Carefree, a microclimate a bit cooler than downtown Phoenix -- 2400 feet.

I took down a few large eucalyptus trees on the south side of the drive and the subsequent sun is overwhelming. One of the larger trees removed was planted in an impression about six feet lower than the surrounding area, in a circle about 50 feet in diameter. In this impression, I'd like to plant a new tree that grows very large and provides shade. I'm thinking that the lowness of the impression will pool cold air in the winter, so a tree that is cold-hardy and wind-tolerant would be best. I'd love to grow a fig, for example. Any recommendations as to fig variety or other fruit trees?

Also, will a loquat thrive up here?

o

Loquat would do very well. Cold hardy down to 10. Delicious too. Also green timber bamboo

o

How do your tropicals handle this hot sun? I have a couple of avocado plants in containers and they could not handle direct sun. I had to put them under the patio cover. We want to be able to plant inground soon but ???

o

I finally pulled my container Avocado plants indoors. 1 is almost dead. The other two are suffering. I hope to give them a chance to leaf out again.

o

Lost one of my passion fruit, it was quite large, last summer it survived by climbing into a neighbor's tree, this year I had it trellised against the wall, got too hot for it. What is really growing well is Mexican Papaya, very happy with its growth. I've started several Taro plants, beautiful leaves. Got some ginger growing, and have some yellow and some blue ginger planted. Bamboo put out a massive shoot, 3 weeks and about 7.5 feet tall and growing....

o

You can come see my avocado trees in pots and ground. There are some tricks to growing them here that the nurserys dont know. Where did you get yours? Come over anytime 602-434-5641

o

Grown from store bought fruit. One is from FL. Other two are from CA.

You know...put seed in glass of water and watch it grow. Moved the plants from VA to AZ. Kept them indoors 1st summer. Outdoors during winter. All good. I was wondering if they would be able to handle the hotter temps.

I keep talking to them. Maybe they'll be ok. ;-)

o

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h384/hyperfalls/

My Dragon fruits

o
RE: Jamacian cherries, Surinam cherries?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I've been gleaning quite a bit of good info over the past few years, so I figured it's time to join in! This looks like a great thread to revive and post a couple of questions.

Does anyone have any experience with growing Jamacian cherries (Muntingia calabura) in the Phoenix area? I'm looking at planting some new trees, and this one really sounds interesting. I'm mostly wondering how well it handles the scorching summers, and how mature such a tree needs to be so that it's not so cold-tender (i.e. too large to cover).

Also, has anyone had successful experience growing Surinam cherries (Eugenia uniflora) in Phoenix? I had one for two years a few years back, but I think the sun got to it. I'm hoping to learn from that and any tips, and try one again this year.

I am looking to plant both of these trees in the ground - the first one in the open (no shade), the second one under some filtered shade of a large mesquite tree. There are a lot of other subtropical trees that sound just a bit too tender for our winters, but I may get brave enough to try them eventually. I do have a 4-year old loquat, and am planting 2 mangos. Also I'm trying "companion planting" with 3 guava (Psidium guajava) varieties.

Thanks for your time! Now to find the fig forum.....

Rob

o

As far as tropical cherries go I grow Surinam, Pitomba, cherry of the rio grande, and Barbados. Some 2 ft. some 8 ft big bushes.

o

Oh good. So it sounds like they've been growing well if they're up to 8' tall. I'm going to plant 1-2 under a mesquite tree, later this year. Hopefully the filtered light will make the summer more bearable. And if they're not too tall, I can cover them pretty easily when it gets cold. I believe they're cold hardy down to the upper 20s? Does the fruit taste good? It looks tasty in the photos I've seen online.

o

Oh good. So it sounds like they've been growing well if they're up to 8' tall. I'm going to plant 1-2 under a mesquite tree, later this year. Hopefully the filtered light will make the summer more bearable. And if they're not too tall, I can cover them pretty easily when it gets cold. I believe they're cold hardy down to the upper 20s? Does the fruit taste good? It looks tasty in the photos I've seen online.

o

Guamuchil
Lemon
Orange
10 different dragon fruit plants
Gold finger banana
Pomegranate
Loquat
Pineapple guava
Grape
Nectarine
Honeydew
Watermelon
Passion fruit
Blackberry
Guava
Plum

o

Pineapple plants?!?! Shade or full sun??

I have one growing in the house. Need to transplant into bigger pot or outside. I grew it from a store bought fruit top.

Please advise. Thanks!

o

• Posted by bolt z8 Phx (My Page) on
    Mon, May 20, 13 at 16:18

Pineapple should do ok with some sun, I have some growing on the east side of my house where they get morning and early afternoon sun, then shade the rest of the day.

Kevin

o

I have 2 rajapuri bananas I planted this spring. They've grown a lot since planting them but sure don't like the hot sun. I'll post pics soon.

o

I just put up a post regarding a low litter tree to put by my pond area. I also Have One navel orange, a Mexican key-lime , A mission fig and a Guava growing in my yard. A Large tropical tree would be fantastic over there. What would your best suggestions be. Thank you very much

o

You could try a Loquat. Although it would take years for it to grow large. It's got big leaves, put out great tasting fruit, plus the cold here will not be a problem at all. It can withstand temps in the low 20s without protection. It'll need some sun protection during the summer though for the first few years.

o

Rajapuri banana. I planted it this spring. It's about 4 ft tall.

o

Other Rajapuri banana. I planted it this spring. It's also about 4 ft tall.

o

I bought a Rajapuri a few months ago, it had 3 pups! Just separated 2 of them and replanted. Last one needs to grow a bit. The Raja grows very fast...great banana.

o

Bump

o

Tropical plants

o

I recently planted a post asking about my lychee seedling, mango seedling, and young pomegranate tree and a low-light spot in my front yard. If anyone has advice...

Here is a link that might be useful: the post in question

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here