Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay174

Temperature alerts?

jay174
9 years ago

I was thinking it would be nice to get an email alert if the temperature that night is going to be in the low 30s. I did some googling, but couldn't find anything.

Anyone have any experience with something like this? Maybe a phone app or something?

Comments (14)

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

There's a ton of stuff, both apps and devices, that can alert you to temperature set points. You're not trying hard..

• jay174
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Could you show me the error of my ways? Offer a suggestion? I really did a lot of searching...

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

It seemed really cold tonight so I covered the plants needing it.

I just checked and there is a freeze warning tonight. The Google weather I had checked said 37F would be the low but it's steered me wrong before.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    9 years ago

jay, here's a link the the National Weather Service Alert Services page. I have not gone through all the links but maybe you will find something here that will work for you. Have you been to this site already?

34 in my yard this morning, 48 under the frost cloth with christmas lights.

Here is a link that might be useful: NWS

• grant_in_arizona
    9 years ago

I'd love an alert too, so if anyone finds/knows of something please post. :)

I had to sit through several minutes of one of those dumb shows on the Weather Channel (which used to just have weather, which I love watching) to see a tiny strip at the bottom saying "freeze warning". I need something more proactive than that, LOL.

Happy gardening all!
    Grant

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

On the app thing...I just replaced our roof and my wife got an iPhone app to send weather alerts but it didn't really warn me about rain. I don't know the name of the app, she's asleep. Not sure I'd trust an app too much.

I've been liking Weather Underground.They seem to have a few weather reporters within a few blocks of my house...reporting 31,32 and 33F right now. Ouch!

• ra
    9 years ago

wunderground is my go to weather site also since there's a station close to my house.

and I've been meaning to get one of these as well
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EW463SS/
    and set up two of them in my backyard so I can monitor the temp closer.

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

That does sound like a good idea. I find it difficult to get the low overnight temp so I can get an idea of what temp is doing what damage to what plant.

WUnderground is reporting 33.9F at 12:30am and now I'm sweating because I only covered a few plants. It wasn't suppose to get this cold tonight.

• campv 8b AZ
    9 years ago

It was 19 here in Camp Verde this morning

• KimmeyK
    9 years ago

Thanks for the mention of weatherunderground site! I got a much better idea of what was going on here. Local newscasts are so all over the place with temp predictions right now it seems.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Here you go for email alerts.

Here is a link that might be useful: sign up

• jay174
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's not hard to find weather alerts, but it is hard to find an alert that is ONLY sent to you if the temperature will go below freezing.

I found the alert below on weather.com today and signed up. It doesn't say if it's an alert for upcoming weather or current weather. I'm hoping it's for upcoming weather. We'll see!

{{gwi:2123080}}

• jay174
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got my first alert today and it appears to be exactly what I was hoping for:

• grant_in_arizona
    9 years ago

AWESOME, Jay! Thanks for the really helpful screenshots. I'm going to sign up for a below-freezing alert too. Great stuff! Happy gardening all!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner