Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monster_energy

Chilean Mesquite losing leaves

monster_energy
16 years ago

about a month ago, i purchased a chilean mesquite from home depot. i planted it and set it up on my irrigation system with a 2 gallon per hour head for 8 minutes twice a day because my soil, here in yuma, is just sand and pretty quick draining. about 2 weeks later, the tree started to lose leaves and i discovered that the sprinkler head was leaking and the tree was getting about 5-10 gallons per hour. i then capped the sprinkler to allow it to dry and have even put garbage bags around its base to keep any sprinkler over spray form the grass off of the tree. much to my dismay, it still hasnt regrown its leaves or started to grow. it has a very frail and weak look to it and i was wondering if maybe it was just a combination of the shock from too much water and it being winter that has restricted its growth or if it might be sick. i have read that these trees are extremely fast growers so i am worried about mine not growing at all. maybe it will thrive in summer when the temperature is hotter and drier?

any help is greatly appreciated, i would just like for my little tree to look healthy again.

{{gwi:427256}}

{{gwi:427257}}

{{gwi:427258}}

Comments (8)

• monster_energy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you for the advice, i will remove the nursery stake and adjust the sprinklers. but i was also wondering if it was normal for the leaves to condense or shrivel up when it gets water? perhaps this only happens in winter, but it certainly has me confused.

thanks

• aztreelvr
    16 years ago

I wouldn't be too concerned about the individual leaflets drying or shriveling this time of year. Your photos show good healthy branches and trunk, as well as plenty of good green leaves with tiny leaflets.

• monster_energy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh, ok, i guess i will just have to wait till spring to see growth. the dormancy just threw me off because i had planted it so recently. i really appreciate the help

• SuzieQ1957
    11 years ago

We planted a Chilean Mesquite in early November and it has thrived all winter and had a beautiful full leafing this spring. We have watered it about every 3 days since we planted it to get it established.
    We left for the long Memorial weekend and when we returned, the leaves are dry and crisp and fall right off when touched.
    What happend?? It was unusually cool this Memorial weekend in our Arizona desert town, but, it doesn't seem to look very good.
    We have very hard water in our town, but, i didn't think that our soft water would be good for it, so we have been watering with our local town water. Our neighbors have big beautiful Mesquite trees and we are very sad that our little tree is stressed.
    What can we do.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Where in Az (which town)?

It sounds like it dried out and died.

How are you watering it? Drip emitters? Bubbler? And for how long? By this time in its establishment cycle, you should be watering once a week to 10 days, and watering DEEPLY to encourage the roots to go deep.

Get a moisture meter and test the soil and base your watering on what it's like 3 or 4 inches below the surface, not on a calendar.

• User
    6 years ago

I live in Tucson AZ and about 2 years ago, I planted this mesquite I got from a friend. I believe it is a Chilean one. It has been a beautiful growing mesquite, but in the last couple of months, I've noticed how the tips are drying out. It is growing new ones, but I am concerned about the tips that are dying. My yard is caliche soil and I am starting to believe it might be that the underground is getting to be hard. This year we had rain storms in July only, and it has been a couple of months with no rain at all. I do water about 5 gallons about each 2 weeks. Does anybody know if this could be a desease or just the heat and dry weather?

• aztreelvr
    6 years ago

Hi Koky,

Your tree looks great with healthy green leaves. Have you been able to inspect the dying tips close up? Are there slanted cuts in some parts of the stems? If so, this is due to the seasonal cicadas we have during summer. The female lays her eggs in the tips of branches. The process kills the tips which fall to the ground where the eggs hatch and larvae burrow into the soil. It's part of the natural ecosystem and is considered natural pruning.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!