Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canary date palm question

Posted by roots3003 AZ (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 19, 08 at 21:44

I'm new to the forum and to AZ. I just bought a canary date palm on sale that I would like to plant between the block wall surrounding my yard and the brick landscape border I built, which is 4' from the wall. I was thinking if I planted it as close to the bricks as possible, that would be plenty of room for it to develop. Does anyone have any input on that?

Also, what are the chances of a dragon tree surviving out there? I planted a small one out there in the beginning of November, and it hasn't seemed to grow a bit. I'm in Queen Creek.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canary date palm question

I love those Canary Island date palms too. Your potential spot sounds a little crowded while the plant is young and its fronds are low enough to rub on the wall, but they can be trimmed to be shorter than that if you like. Once it's tall enough that its head of foliage is taller than the wall you should have enough room, though they do get chubby so if you've got a larger spot for it that might be the better location. A pygmy date palm might be a good alternative, or even a Mediterranean fan palm?

Let us know what you do and how it works out.
Take care,
Grant

o
RE: Canary date palm question

Canary are huge and the fronds will take up a span of 25 to 30 feet. Later the trunk alone will take up more than 4 feet.
Arthur the date palm guy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here