Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
genejr_gw

Asian Gourds and Chayote

GeneJr
10 years ago

I used to grow Calabash Gourds (Opo) and Ridged Skin Luffa (Chinese Okra or Patola) back in the middle Atlantic and I was wondering if anyone has grown any in the valley. If so, how did they do? I'm in the process of installing two large trellises for them and will give them a try this spring/summer. They need long, warm growing seasons, which of course we have, but I hope the temps aren't too high for them here in the middle of summer.

I also want to try growing Chayote. Has anyone had any luck growing Chayote in the valley? If I have enough energy after installing the first two trellises I'd like to put up a third trellis and take a crack at it. I was able to grow them back east but it would get cold just as they started bearing fruit. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gene

Comments (7)

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

Luffa grows like mad here. Mine didn't taste that good though. Young luffa should be good to eat, but mine were bitter. Got lots of great scrubbers though. A trellis is the way to go and provides natural shade. Good idea to try chayote.

• hellbound
    10 years ago

i grow luffa and winter melons (fuzzy squash) and they do great didn't try eating them though just grew them for scrubbers got 100's of of one plant

• GeneJr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much for the info. That's great to know. The luffa is delicious but you're right in that you have to pick them young. You've given me all the motivation I needed.

Gene

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

You can buy chayote at Food City - look for the ones with a tiny sprout starting.

Instead of luffa, unless you want the scrubbers, consider Armenian cucumbers. They stay edble and not bitter over a wide range of sizes. Rampant growers, too.

Plant when the nights start warming up, protect from cutworms and birds while they are tiny and enjoy.

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

Tell me about growing winter melons. When do you start them here and do they tolerate the heat and sun?

I like Armenian cucumbers too. Problem is having way too much. At least with luffa, what you don't eat, you can still use as scrubbers. I grow bird gourds too. Those do well. I can't grow zucchini. The minute it starts to get a nice stem, the pill bugs come and eat it.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Toucan - No such thing as too many Armenian cucumbers. Just acquire some Greek or Indian co-workers and they will take the excess.

My SO could drop a 20-lb basket of cukes in the break room and they were gone in 60 seconds. The only veggie that vanished faster was okra.

• hellbound
    10 years ago

you plant winter melons same time and any other melon/ squash you can eat the young small "fuzzy squash" early in the season then towards fall you let them grow big and store them they keep for a month or 2 in a cupboard and are great for soups in the wintertime.