Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Cukes and beans

tracydr
12 years ago

I have failed at least three times with cukes and beans. I really, really want real cucumbers ( in addition to my Armenians) and pole beans. Does anyone grow beans and cukes? What months should I plant them? Should I start them inside to counteract the cool soil or something?

Seems I can get a few cukes with a really, really late planted fall cuke. And I've never gotten a bean to set although I get germination. Last year germination was slow even though I tried a bunch of varieties, both pole and bush.

Maybe I need to change my pH more or something, too? Are they more sensitive then other crops?

Comments (15)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    12 years ago

I've been trying to grow bush filet beans for two seasons and cannot get them to germinate. First try I thought they were cool weather growers so planting in Sep/Oct failed for sure. Next try I planted seeds from the same packet early summer this year, nada. I just ordered some more, green, yellow and purple and will try again next summer. Beans like hot temps to grow, or so I hear.

No help with the cukes, DH won't eat them so I don't bother to grow.

• plstqd
    12 years ago

I know you said you wanted pole beans, but after several unsuccessful attempts at growing beans here, I had my first ever success this year by planting Contender bush beans right at the end of September. I planted three beans per hole, and almost every one of them germinated. They grew like weeds, which I wasn't expecting, so they actually shaded out some of my other veggies. I got my first blossom about the beginning of November, and just finished harvesting the last of them. They're really tasty, too.

• tracydr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would be happy with any snap beans, actually! I wonder what month I can grow them in the spring?
    I will definitely try your method next September, even get some Contenders to try. Thanks!

12 years ago

I think the soil has to be pretty warm for germination. We had a nice, long Indian summer this past fall so that's probably why the Sept planting worked. Someone I know in Tucson planted corn in Aug and harvested a few ears!

Here's a note from a Google search:

Planting should commence only when soil temperatures have reached 60*F. Optimum seed germination occurs at soil temperatures between 70*F and 95*F for snap beans and between 70*F and 85*F for limas. Irrigation may be necessary at time of bloom in order to insure maximum pod set under dry soil conditions. Temperatures above 90*F or below 50*F cause poor pod set.

Here is a link that might be useful: New England Veggie Gardening Link

• tracydr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maybe I'll try starting the pole beans and cukes in pots under lights to plant out with tomatoes.

• tracydr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maybe I'll try starting the pole beans and cukes in pots under lights to plant out with tomatoes.

• sundrop07
    12 years ago

Tracydr, I grow Dragon Tongue bush beans and they grow like crazy here and I can harvest them beginning in about 45 days from germination. I'll plant them in March when it warms up and have also planted them late summer. They're op, nice an fat, stringless, tasty and beautifu. They are kind of yellow with purple streaks and cook up yellow. I usually only grow armenian cukes but a friend in east valley grows the straight 8 successfully. good luck

• tracydr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Subdrop. I have some Dragon tongue seeds, I believe. I'll make sure I plant some in March. I'm also going to try rattlesnake, which I've heard do well in TX and OK with hot/dry conditions.

12 years ago

I was trying to find some Dragon Tongue seeds but was unsuccessful. Either of you have enough to trade? I have three different French Filet bush beans, a green (Maxibel), a yellow (Concador )and a purple (Velour).

• tracydr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm afraid I have hardly any left. I think. Got mine either from BC or from southern Seed Exchange. I do have tons of Provider, though, if you'd like to give them a try. Somehow, I ended up with a giant sized pack of them.
    I also have about 1/4 pound of pink eye purple hulls and they actually did quite well for me last year, except for the aphids.

• bucks
    12 years ago

The ideal month to plant green beans is in the last two weeks of February and into the first two weeks of March. The same goes for cucumbers. I see Contender bush beans listed and I totally agree with this choice. Of all that I have tried in the valley here over the years, I found these to give me the best results. While you can grow a fall crop I found the yeilds to be much lower. Also I found a lot of problems with slime ( maybe mold) on the beans when I picked them and the same goes for cucumbers. If you want a really cost competitive source of seeds, contact Jordan Seeds out of Minnesota. They have a catalog and are on line. Since I buy in larger amounts I am stunned at the prices. But hey, even if it is more seed than you want, you can give it away to someone or save the seeds until next year.

• thisisme
    12 years ago

I too failed miserably with bush beans. I tried six varieties last season including dragon Tongue. Thisisme + Bush Beans = failure.

I grew one Spacemaster cucumber last season that I purchased at Lowe's. That thing produced smooth skinned tasty slicing cucumbers on short vines in large numbers. We plan on using the juicer a lot this year with garden vegetables so we will probably plant two of them come Spring.

• sundrop07
    12 years ago

Posted by marymcp 9 (My Page) on Wed, Dec 28, 11 at 15:08

I was trying to find some Dragon Tongue seeds but was unsuccessful. Either of you have enough to trade? I have three different French Filet bush beans, a green (Maxibel), a yellow (Concador )and a purple (Velour).

marymcp, I have some I could trade for, the purple sound interesting. Let me know where to send them and they're yours.

12 years ago

Thanks sundrop! If you click on my name you'll find a link to my email address. Send that off and we can communicate privately.

• margez
    12 years ago

I think if you put down black plastic to warm the soil before planting it will help.