Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice about local nurseries

Posted by Jimbro Phoenix (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 23:10

Hi everyone,
I have recently moved to PHX, but not new to gardening. I am building a house in Surprise. I need to create a garden on a bare suburban lot and have been doing all sorts of research.I have come up with a tentative plan for my landscaping but I am having a real problem finding plants. I have visited most of the recommended retail spots and have found the inventory very limited if not depleted. I drive past wholesale growers every day with abundant beautiful stock.I need 24"trees and assorted 15 gal standard local species. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice about local nurseries

Moon Valley has lots of trees. If you're going xeric, I can tell you where to find all manner of great cacti, Agaves, Yuccas and such; otherwise, I'm not much help. There is a fine cactus nursery right in Surprise, if you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Surprise Cactus Nursery

o

Avoid Moon Valley - they will sell you lots of things that will not survive here. Their sales staff is rude and knows very little about planting.

The reason the stock is depleted is that fall is our prime planting time for trees. Spring is coming, so make your plans and place your orders.

Baker's in Central Phoenix is excellent. They will place orders for you from those wholesale growers.

I'm not familiar with the nurseries in that part of the valley, but I've had good plants from Summer Winds.

o

When it comes to trees, I've had great luck with some of the small growers on craigslist.

o

RSI is local to you. He doesn't have a huge selection, but his plants are all suited to our area. I bought some trees from him when I lived in Lake Havasu. I felt at the time it was wsorth the trip to his nursery. Now that I'm in Cottonwood, I would do it again.

Check out his website.

o

I also buy from RSI Growers and give Reid 5 stars for knowledge, approach-ability and service.

Here is a link that might be useful: RSI Growers

o

Try Sunrise tree nursery it's off Grand and 163rd ave I believe in Surprise , I get a lot of my plant material there , big place lots of stock. Ask for Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here