Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moso Clumper :) new variety!!!

Posted by hello_c_j_here 7 Cary, NC (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 08 at 20:55

Anyone have 2nd or 3rd year Moso still acting like a clumper?

Or is this possibly a mis ID'd Boo from seed I received from reliable source.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/CJisHere/Moso22008.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/CJisHere/Moso2008.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/CJisHere/2nd_YearMoso.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moso Clumper :) new variety!!!

Looks like one of the Dendrocalamus'. Maybe Asper or Gigantea.

Kt

o

Hmmm so no Moso huh.
Did a pic search for those... didnt find any younger pics all mature groves.

o

I'll see if I can find some and get some photos to post here. Doesn't look like my Moso, but hey...I could be wrong.

o

It may be Bambusa beecheyana var pubescens. I saw some that looked almost exactly like the ones in your photos.

o

Kid, did a pic search on B Pubescens... new culm shot here... does not look close - http://www.bambooweb.info/ShowPictures2.php?BooID=461&Desc=&Loc=&Match=AND&Cat=*&s=11

o

Doesn't look like my Beecheyana either, but then I'm not sure of the ID of my mine. It looks more like Oldhamii.

Kt

o

Kentuck... you find the pics you mentioned posting above?
Thanks
CJ

o

Sorry, got busy and forgot. I will look more or take some new pics soon.

Kt

o

Forgot about me again huh Kt? :-)

o

No, didn't forget, just haven't found any pics yet...still looking.

Shooting was very scarce here due to the severe drought. Some bamboos didn't even shoot this year.

Kt

o

More pics of my clumper MOSO.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Anyone else have some ideas what this may be?
I traded off a 20 gallon planter of same seedlings and he says they took off... hes only a few miles from me. His are running...mine still clumps and has been in the ground for near 3 years now.

New Moso Clumper works for me :-)

o

Even as a young plant, the culms seem to lean outward much more than my young Moso did and as far as clumping, well, it may start to run next year. Sometimes they stay clumped for a year or so, then they begin to run.

It could still be Moso, as bamboo acts and grows very differently in different parts of the world. I have several bamboos that I question the ID on as they grow nothing like what they are described and listed to grow as.

It looks more like one of the Dendrocalamus to me, but unfortunately, with this drought here, mine didn't shoot this year, so I couldn't get pics and I can't find any pics from the past. I will try to get some in the Spring.

Were the trade that you gave away, a division of the plant pictured above? Sometimes seeds can be mixed up from two different bamboos and sold as the same plant, only to later grow into two very different plants...just a thought.

Kt

o

Hi Kt, no not a division... but from the same huge spread I made of a batch of seeds... once they began to sprout I took them and placed in seperate larger planters (3 groups total) all came from same single large germination table I set up. 40 seeds I started with. All from same batch. Soaked all 40 overnight. Set up one large (sand table) 3 foot x 3 foot with grids set up so I could keep up with the seed placements easier... 2 seeds in each grid. As they grew, I took them and placed them into larger planters together. The plan was to have large planters of tall moso on the deck. So not sure how likely it is that the ones I kept and put out in the yard (pic above) could be different than what I traded off... looked identical in the planter when he picked it up. But he says his is spreading... mine was in the ground a year before his too... will be 3 years in ground nect month I believe.
The mystery continues :-)

o

Yes, the mystery continues...

It will be interesting to see what happens next year. I will get some pics of the new Dendro shoots next year for comparison.

I know you are in a colder area than I am here, but clumpers seem to get bigger in containers than runners do. Runners usually get rootbound before they get to a large size. Something to think about.

Kt

o

Here are some new pics of the mystery Moso :-)

Clump Moso 3/09
Clumper Moso 3/09
Mystery Moso

o

Here's a picture of my 'Anderson' moso taken a couple of years ago.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here