Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bambusa Textilis

Posted by kentuck_8b z8b TX (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 3, 06 at 12:30

2 1/2 years in the ground, planted from a three gallon pot. Height is about 20 feet tall and largest culms about 1 3/4 inches at the base.

As seen in the photo, we are in a severe drought(overflow from weekly waterings can be seen on the left, where the grass is green). The newly emerging culms have started to die and those that are remaining are no longer growing.

My mature clump which is located in my yard, is surrounded by other bamboo and trees, etc, so it is difficult to distinguish it from the surrounding vegetation and making it difficult to get a good photo. It's height is 40 feet with 2.5 inch culms.

Kt

Image link: Bambusa Textilis (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bambusa Textilis

Hi Kentuck,

That is a great picture and a great location for a picture of a large bamboo. Hopefully you got plenty of rain at the beginning of this week. We got several inches and a lot of it ended up running off. I would have preferred less rain more often but I won't complain about any rain we get. My Bambusas that had started shooting earlier were also "on hold" and that rain has now got some of them moving again, albeit slowly.

I know in the past you have commented that sometimes a bamboo doesn't quite fit the description given. There were some comments on another site about "B. textilis" and lower branching, and that some of the "textilis" in TX isn't B. textilis but rather B. tuldoides. About how high does the branching start on your mature clump of B. textilis and the one in the picture?

Mike near Brenham TX

Here is a link that might be useful: B. textilis discussion

o

Howdy Mike. We got 1.3 inches of rain, but it did nothing for the pastures or my dry stock tank. Swiss Alp got 9.5 inches!

The mature culms, on the mature clump, start branching between 10 and 12 feet from the ground. The one in the picture has several branching at the first nodes and some of the younger culms branching about three feet from the ground. This years culms are still growing, and haven't all started branched out yet.

The mix-up could explain why some say they have a very tight clump whereas others state that theirs are open clumpers. My textilis is very tight and my tuldoides is open enough for me the squeeze through.

You mentioned in an earlier post that the Oldhamii at Zilker has no branches/leaves on the upper part of the culms, from cold weather. Mine have NO lower branches/leaves, and have a large "pom-pom" looking bush at the top of the culms...strange looking.

Thanks for the link of the discussion on textilis. I will finish reading it when I get through here.

Kt

o

Kt, that is a great shot. With nothing around it it's very easy to distinguish, so you can really get a feel for the shape and look of that particular specimen.

My yard is so small and planted so thick there's no way to get pictures of mine like that--you're lucky you've got so much space!

Hope the rain picks up.

pura vida

o

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here