Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical Black Culm Close-up

Posted by Kentuck_8b z8b TX (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 05 at 20:27

G. atroviolacea culm in the process of turning black. You can see the daily growth marks left where the culm sheath was. It doesn't look like much growth, but this takes place between all nodes, so if you have 20 internodes, then 20 times the above distance begins to add up.

My pet ladybug for size comparison.

Kt

Image link: Tropical Black Culm Close-up (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical Black Culm Close-up

• Posted by Thuja zone 4b WI, US (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 6, 05 at 9:05

Stretchmarks... Looks like it's growing in quantum leaps, bursts of growth. I wonder if you saw time-lapse photos if it grows continuously or in bursts.

A couple years ago I recorded time-lapse of tomato seeds germinating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Time-lapse tomato germination (246KB)

o

I think it grows faster during the nighttime hours, than it does during the day. During the day, my thoughts are that it slows as it gathers more sunlight and then produces and replaces the stored food.

I measured Henon growth a few years back, and when I measured it at six hour intervals, it grew faster at night vs the day. 14 inches in one 24 hour period was the quickest growth that I recorded.

Kt

o

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here