Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical Black Culm Close-up2

Posted by Kentuck_8b z8b TX (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 05 at 20:34

Another G. atroviolacea close-up. Still in the process of turning black, but you can see the stripes that will remain green.

Kt

Image link: Tropical Black Culm Close-up2 (57 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical Black Culm Close-up2

Good camera work. Looks like it will be low 20's tonight. May be the end of my tropical black. Rgds

o

Is yours planted in the ground? Mine is still in a pot and is way too tall to stand upright in either of my greenhouses.

High in the 80's here today, the first afternoon that I had off in a very long time, and the high humidity about killed me. Supposed to be below freezing here by tomorrow night, so the Trop Black will have to be moved indoors.......somewhere.

Kt

o

80's....then below freezing....it that normal Kentuck?

o

Yes, that's Texas weather. As they say here, if you don't like the weather, just wait a couple of days.

Being about 75 miles from the coast, as the crow flies, brings very warm weather from the gulf when the wind is blowing from the south. When a norther blows in, it usually brings rain(along with storms, twisters, etc) as the cold air meets the warm gulf air. The northers bring the arctic north winds that are sometimes very cold, so the temperature can drop many many degrees in just a few hours, and then in a couple of days, it can be hot again especially if the front backs up.

I had to wear a jacket to work a couple of times this week, but by mid-afternoon, it's short-sleeve weather. Low 40's or upper 30's in the mornings, can sometimes be 70's by afternoon, then two days later it's warm enough at midnight, that the mosquitoes are so bad you can't go outside.

No slow change from warm to cold or vice versa. Temps go up and down all Winter. Thanksgiving Day was one of the nicest warmest days we had here in a while.

I noticed the other day, a Punting Pole Bamboo shoot popped up and then stalled when the weather got cold. After a couple of warm nights, it grew several inches only to die when the temps went back down to 34F.

You mean weather isn't like this everywhere?

Kt

o

I complain when it's in the 50's here one day, then 20's the next...I spent some time in San Antonio years ago also Wichita Falls for awhile.Those summers were HOT.
I hate anything below 65 degrees-hmmm-San Diego seems like a perfect place though it doesn't get too hot for the phyllostachys I don't think.

o

Yes - mine is potted under a lot of tree protection. Also small. Rgds

o

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here