Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edible S. Fastuosa?

Posted by beki z7 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 08 at 1:48

I've been doing my homework to find the bamboo for me, and have just about narrowed it down to Semiarundinaria Fastuosa. I just need to know what the catalogs mean when they say the shoots are edible with a 'distinctive flavor'.

Who has tasted it, and would you do it again?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edible S. Fastuosa?

I don't have any but I just read that there is a variety called Semiarundinaria fastuosa viridis, that is taller and a "more vivid darker green".

o

• Posted by booboy Zone8 BC Canada (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 29, 08 at 12:14

Most bamboo shoots are edible. You can buy them canned at the grocery store. You have to cut the shoots before they are too far out of the ground. Or they will harden up. You must boil them to remove some bitter flavor. Ph. Dulcis (sweetshoot bamboo) is supposed to be the best tasting.

o

• Posted by beki z7 CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 5, 08 at 1:27

I'm interested in the edibility of THIS variety: and I like the look of the redbrown stems, thanks.

Is this one of the bitter types? Has anyone actually cooked and eaten it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here