Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtslinger2

Bamboo that tolerates poor drainage, cold winter?

dirtslinger2
15 years ago

I am in search of a bamboo that I can harvest, both edible shoots and garden stakes!

I'm about Z6, but am also quite happy to mulch root zones as required...

My main issue is my land is poorly drained. It was once a peat bog, until ditching came through. After a heavy rainfall, water can puddle for a few days.

The water table is often 6", spring and fall...

Any species suggestions? I haven't been able to come up with any. Clumping or running- I can handle anything. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• bambookid524
    15 years ago

Phyllostachys Heteroclada (Water Bamboo) can tolerate "wet feet" to some extent. I'm not sure how well it does though.

It is also pretty cold hardy

hope this helps,

Steve

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

Heteroclada is supposed to be hardy to -11F, but I have trouble with leaf damage even here in Zone 8, while my many other Phyllostachys seem to be unfazed. Some other species of Phyllostachys are hardier, but may be less water-tolerant, so you've got a dilemma. Whatever you plant, consider planting it in a mound so that it's above the water level, even if its feet are in water-logged soil.

• User
    15 years ago

Your biggest problem here is the drainage issue--NOT the cold!!

• dirtslinger2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you- I will search out Phyllostachys heteroclada. I think it is worth a try. Planting on a small berm for any species is not a problem, and wortha shot for other hardier species.
    Thanks!

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

You could also try P. atrovaginata, it's similar to water bamboo, it has air channels that can tolerate wet feet. I planted a culm last year, but I didn't plant it in boggy ground, so far it's still alive. It's supposed to be hardy to zone 5b. I got mine from bamboo plantation.com, so far the last 2 boos I got from them were really healthy and not too expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phyllostachys atrovaginata

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, you may also want to look into Arundinaria gigantea AKA river cane, it can be grown in wet boggy conditions and the shoots are edible as well. They are hardy to -10 F.

I might want to buy this myself! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Arundinaria gigantea

• dirtslinger2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Those both look GREAT! Thanks!

• takumaku
    15 years ago

If you do end up deciding on Arundinaria gigantea, let me know and I can get you all the bamboo you want. It's native here and I'm always pruning the new culms which come unto my property.

• dirtslinger2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd love a few pieces but I'm in BC- I doubt we'd be able to get that to work. Thank you though!

• xexorz
    14 years ago

Just planted Ph. Atrovaginata in a similar location (damp and Zone 6 Norther NJ, I'll let you know how I fair in about a year or two :-)

• xexorz
    14 years ago

It has been about a year and the plants look like they are doing fine in the wet and winter. I will let you know when they start sending up this years shoots :)

• bamboozler
    14 years ago

I too have high ground water all winter but have had success with rubro. They have done well since 07 planted along a ditch that holds water and overflows all winter. To improve the situation I trenched around the bed in order to contain the bamboo and raised the bed. I have liberally added manure, compost, grass clippings etc... further raising the bed and this has proven advantageous to the bamboo. Hope this helps.

• statenislandpalm7a
    14 years ago

i'm a bit late hear but i had great success with nuda bamboo in an area that can be wet for weeks after a rain. i just planted it in a 6 inch pile of compost and it really took off

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor