Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
limitedslip

Bamboo Lighting?

limitedslip
16 years ago

I am going to start to grow a few bamboos indoors. My apartment has minimal sunlight, so artificial sunlight will be needed. I have a lot of spare lighting equipment leftover from my saltwater tank (ranging from normal flouresents all the way to metal halides). I was wondering if normal flouresents at about a 6k kelvin spectrum or less would be suffiecent, or would I need to use some stronger lighting such as power compacts or metal halides to supply enough light for bamboo growth? Any insight on the lighting requirements would be great. Thanks.

Comments (2)

• michigan_bamboo
    16 years ago

All of my indoor Bamboo projects with low light. I use metal halide lighting it is the best artificial lighting for Bamboo. You also might want to consider growing Hibanobambusa tranquillans ÂShiroshima it works well in low light conditions indoors.
    Hope this helps.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Info about Hibanobambusa tranquillans Shiroshima

• akupay
    16 years ago

We have two ornamental bamboo plants (2 feet hight above planter) that we've had for the past 4 years. They are starting to turn brown at the edges of the leaves and we're unsure what to do. Do I cut the brown edges off and why is this happening?
    Also, for the holidays we moved them to a lower light room in the house (20 days) and they've gotten worse and look lighter in color than before.
    Really love these plants but unsure how to get them back to their original state. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Amy

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County