Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bamboo for small space

Posted by elbeardo CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 10:33

hi, I live in Southern CA coastal, sunset zone 24, San Pedro. I'm looking for good bamboo choices for the space in the picture attached. I like the the look of P. nigra, but am a little concerned with planting it next to the lawn and neighbors yard behind the fence. I just want to plant in that space between the concrete and the fence. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bamboo for small space

First, that's a very narrow space for almost any bamboo. You should not go with P. nigra, because it is a running bamboo and you would need to install barrier on all sides (at the fence line, at the edge of the slab, and on both sides. If you are going to plant bamboo, you should stick with a clumping bamboo as it won't need a barrier; it should also be one that stays on the small side. My Zone is colder than yours, so I'm not familiar with the types of clumpers that are suitable for your Zone...maybe a Bambusa, a Chusquea, or a Fargesia. Rather than make a specific suggestion, I think you should go to a local bamboo nursery and ask them for suggestions for a bamboo with the following characteristics: clumping, short mature height, and upright habit.

o
RE: bamboo for small space

Thanks kudzu! I know of a place close by.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here