Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mzkrista

Gigantochloa atroviolacea

mzkrista
17 years ago

Does anyone have experience that they would like to talk about on Gigantochloa atroviolacea being planted indoors. I have Yellow groove bamboo planted indoors that does extremely well in fact some of the culms are 7 feet tall in height. I wanted to buy and plant Gigantochloa atroviolacea but not sure if it does well indoors. I dont want to waste my money if it is not going to work out well. I live in Cleveland OH so it needs to stay indoors. I do have a patch of my Yellow groove outdoors and it does make it although there is some leaf drop.

Thanks Christine

Comments (7)

• kentuck_8b
    17 years ago

I grow some in a 10 gallon pot down here, but it does best outdoors and with some humidity and a lot of direct sunlight. Not to discourage you, but since it is a large growing bamboo by nature, it may not do very well indoors in a pot.

Mine doesn't get full with leaves and wants to put up shoots that are 20+ feet tall making it an undesired plant for a low ceiling indoor bamboo. Topping the culms may make them branch out lower down, but there are several other black culm bamboos that might do well instead of the more pricey Gigantochloa atroviolacea.

If you do decide to try some, or another kind of bamboo indoors, please let me(us) know how it does.

Good Luck

Kt

• mzkrista
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Kt,
    What other black culm bamboos would you recommend to me inside the house other than the Gig Altro. Thanks
    Christine

• kentuck_8b
    17 years ago

I really can't speak from experience on indoor grown bamboo since mine are only inside during cold nights or during colder months.

Of the black bamboos that I have had and seen, Gigantochloa atroviolacea is probably the prettiest, with those large leaves and green-striped black culms, but it may be too large of a bamboo for your use, but hey, you might want to try it, but as I mentioned above, it might be more money than you are willing to spend, particularly if it does not survive. Remember though, that in different areas of the country, bamboo does not always grow the same, so it may grow smaller in your area and thus be suitable for growing in a pot. Confused yet??

P. nigra is more common, costs less, and does really well in a pot here. It likes shade, even if grown outdoors, and the culms turn black with shade. If the culms are in a lot of sun, they will not turn completely black. This may differ in different growing regions, but it does quite well here. The only thing is that the leaves tips tend to turn brown and get a 'dried-out' look, especially during Winter months, or if over-watered.

It is similar(related) to Yellow Groove(P. aureosulcata). Black Bamboo(P. nigra).

I would try some under the same conditions that you have your Yellow Groove planted, and see how well it does.

There may be some others that will do well in pots but none that I have grown.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Good Luck

Kt

• kentuck_8b
    17 years ago

If you don't try the P. nigra and aren't completely set on a 'black' bamboo, you may want to try one of these...

Gib's Picks For Houseplants

Kt

• mzkrista
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That was a interesting link thanks.

• susanmoses243_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

i am wanting to use Gigantochloa atroviolacea as a natural blind will it do ok here down in south louisiana?

• kentuck_8b
    17 years ago

It should do very well in Southern Louisiana. Before the hurricanes came through, there were a few posters from south LA that had beautiful G. atroviolacea growing there. It loves the warmer temps.

There are also many other clumpers that will do very well there.

Good Luck

Kt

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County