Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers and Bamboo

Posted by mzboone 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 11:02

Hello Everyone!
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with planting Flowers with Bamboo? I live in NE North Carolina.
However, I live in a very woody area, but with large amounts of cleared land. (Out in the Country)

Ive tried to trim back my bamboo. But since its the winter time, they aren't really sprouting right now.

But I really wanted to plant a "Crawling" or "Quick Growing" Flower in the spring that might inhibit some of the Over Run Bamboo area. Before they really start growing again.

I cut them back as much as I could last summer. But I really want to use the space for other Flowers/Plants. I know Bamboo can be really hard to get rid of. But I really wanted to plant Flowers? Any Suggestions, before the Warm weather arrives? - Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers and Bamboo

Planting flowers can look nice, but it will do nothing to inhibit the spread of running bamboo. In addition, cutting it back only leaves the rhizomes intact and they will just keep on spreading. If you want to control your bamboo, you need to maintain a perimeter with regular root pruning and/or bamboo barrier.

o
RE: Flowers and Bamboo

• Posted by pcan UT 7 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 19:06

I planted Lavender Verbena around my bamboo in 2012. The reason I did is because the bamboo had not filled in the area encompassed by the barrier so I wanted to fill the blank space. Lavender Verbena is an annual here but grows like a weed so it filled in fast. But in the fall I pulled it out and in 2013 the bamboo filled the area in so there was no room to plant, I suspect if the verbena was a perennial here the bamboo would have choked it out anyway, blocking the sun and eventually killing it.

photo DSCN3051.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here