Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silversword_gw

Nigra not growing

silversword
15 years ago

Hi,

My nigra seemed to be doing well over the summer, but is not growing at all anymore, loosing a few leaves, etc... Is this a seasonal thing? We usually get down to just above 32 degrees at night, up to 90 during the day. It's in full sun, good soil, good water. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it's "not growing." When bamboo put up culms, those culms reach their full, permanent height in a couple of months and will never increase in diameter...bamboo culms are not like trees. If you have had this plant in the ground for a couple of years and it's not producing more culms, then there may be a problem. As for leaf loss, it's common for bamboo to be dropping and replacing leaves. Again, this is only a problem if it's continually losing leaves and not replacing them.

• silversword
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kudzu,
    Thank you for replying. I guess I wasn't clear.

I put the plants in the ground this past summer. They seemed to "thicken" out a bit after planting, and a few grew a couple of inches. We also had a lot of new culms. I understand that they don't keep growing from the top like trees, but it seems like they were growing (maybe they just weren't at full growth yet?) and then stopped. And then started shedding leaves. I guess I need to go look and see if the baby culms have grown any.

• User
    15 years ago

Silversword,
    I had nigra.
    It is normal. Your bamboo is fine.
    It always sheds almost all of it's leaves this time of year and regrows all of them also.
    It is fine.
    Get ready for some real growth this year.

• silversword
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Butterfly!!! I've only grown bamboo in Hawaii and it doesn't do this!! It sheds leaves year round, but never loses the majority of them.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reassure me! :)

• silversword
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just thought I'd update this... went out yesterday and have HUGE new culms!!! YAY!!!!!!!!

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

silversword-
    Thanks for the update. I figured this would turn out right if you just kept giving it TLC. Looks like you're doing good!

• silversword
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kudzu, for your moral support. I never had to "make/help" boo grow before, it always just grew like a weed in the rainforest I'm used to. Southern California is still throwing me for loops with the dry climate and the "seasons". I have to force myself not to pull the "dead" plants up... people keep saying they'll come back but it's hard for me to believe!!!

And these shoots are so healthy looking, and are nearly the same height (6-8') already as the mother plants. (the nursery chopped the tops to make it easy to transport)

Hopefully, hopefully, it will block out our back neighbor (a monster mc-mansion that looks right into our yard) by the end of the summer. I don't expect it to be too dense this year, but hopefully it will be enough coverage that I don't feel like I'm being stared at all the time.

• silversword
    Original Author
    13 years ago

YAY!!! Went out yesterday and there are at least 3 new shoots at the bottoms of each plant, and some that have grown over 4' taller than the originals...

So excited!!!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Congrats!
    My black bamboo is starting to shoot, too!

Josh

• silversword
    Original Author
    13 years ago

AWright Josh!!! Mine is nearly as big around as a golf ball - so beautiful! And this is just the second year, so I'm excited for next year.

• silversword
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ALL of the culms aborted last year... I was so bummed out!

BUT. I went out last night and they're coming back with a vengeance. So I'm hoping for better luck this year.

• Bestgardenarbor
    12 years ago

Well thats pretty normal. When reaching fall, the green culms begin to develop brown mottling concentrated at the nodes, especially near the base. By Winter the entire culm is speckled with fine black spots, usually dense enough toward the base to be solid brownish black.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH