Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pfkaplan1_gw

Bambusa Textilis Gracilis Dwarf

pfkaplan1
12 years ago

I purchased 10 of these trees from a local bamboo cultivator in Sarasota and planted them in a row between my property and the neighbor's property for the purpose of a privacy screen. They are doing fairly well considering it is January. I wasn't expecting too much growth until the spring actually. The person I bought these from said they will get about 15 feet tall, have a vase-like look as they grow. He had one on his property, which was exactly as he is describing. What I don't know is how cold tolerant these are (we just had a freeze the other day), or any other information on them. The seller also said they are a mutation of the Textilis Gracilis. I would appreciate any information anyone might have on this dwarf variety of gracilis. Thank you.

Comments (6)

• pfkaplan1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My zone is 9, not 8

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

The American Bamboo Society lists Bambusa textilis var. gracilis, and Bambusa textilis 'Dwarf,' but not Bambusa textilis gracilis Dwarf. Assuming that you have the dwarf variety, this bamboo has a maximum height of 18'. Most of the B. textilis varieties have a hardiness temp of about 18F; this is the temperature at which it dies...you will get culm and foliage damage as temperatures start approaching that level.

Also, you may or may not get noticeable growth next year. Bamboo can often take a year or two to get established before putting out new growth. You will not get growth out of the existing culms...they are already as tall as they will ever get.

[P.S.: bamboo are not "trees"; they are members of the Poaceae family (also known as the Gramineae), which means they are grasses. Big grasses, but still grasses.]

Here is a link that might be useful: ABS Species List

• pfkaplan1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for writing back. I have alot of interest in bamboo.... I will have to check out the American Bamboo Society as well!

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

You should also check out Bambooweb. Lots of photos and detailed forums. It's where the hard-core bambuseros hang out....

Here is a link that might be useful: Bambooweb

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

All my Textilis varieties are very cold tolerant and I give them no protection except in their first winter, and that is if I plant them late in the year.

When younger, they may get some leaf burn but when they are older, they do just fine.

We had single digit temps here last winter and they only got some leaf burn, and they also do well in cold dry northers, but you will need to make sure they are watered well.

Kt

• Scott Wallace
    12 years ago

I'm in North Jacksonville and of all the varieties in my yard, the Textilis Gracilis and Mutabilis rarely show signs of freeze damage, even with temps as low as 18F. I would think you should be fine where you are at.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County