Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josh90021

Proper Spacing for Planting Horsetail Bulbs

josh90021
15 years ago

Perhaps someone can help me here, in which case I'd be extremely grateful (can't find the answer anywhere obvious on the web thus far):

I'm planting horsetail bamboo (which I know isn't technically a bamboo but a fern, even though it generally gets lumped into this category) along the wall of my patio in Los Angeles.

To eventually fill out a drip-irrigated trough that runs 70 feet around the perimeter and is approximately a foot wide throughout, how many horsetail bulbs should I plant and how far apart should they be spaced?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

Josh-
    What I think you're referring to as horsetail bamboo is neither a fern nor a bamboo. It's an incredibly invasive weed -- much more of a problem than any bamboo -- and the only advice I'd give you is to not plant it. I think you would regret it soon, and so will your neighbors. In fact, there are many localities where there are strict state or local prohibitions against planting this. You may want to read the info in the link below...and then consider planting something less noxious. My own experience with horsetail is that you don't need to worry about spacing: it's so prolific that it will grow into a mass very quickly. I've got an infestation of it on part of my property (believe me, I didn't plant it), and I've spent countless hours trying to get rid of two large patches. It's a continual battle to keep it at bay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horsetail

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Crap, just lost a post.

Ah well, here's a quick re-cap:
    It looks like Josh said it will fill a "drip-irrigated trough." That sounds like fine containment. I grow E. hyemale and E. giganteum, both in containers (with the Giant's pot sunk in-ground).

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Horsetail Thread (with pics)

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

Yes, I saw that reference to a 70-foot irrigated trough, and it wasn't clear to me that something this large was fully contained. I agree that, if this is complete containment -- like a concrete trough that cordons off the dirt from adjacent areas -- then invasiveness shouldn't be an issue. However, if it's something else, like a dirt-filled trough around the edge of a slab, then my point remains. Maybe the original poster can clarify....

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

HHMMM never considered Equisetum a rampant weed. As far as that article, i found some issues with it. As far as it being toxic, it is not toxic to either humans or livestock. I fact, it makes a delightful vegetable, like asparagus and due to its high silica content, it is a great suppliment for hair, skin and nails, its a major ingredient in most formulation supplements in health food stores. we used to feed it to our livestock all the time because it helps with their coat.

Never had it be invasive, never had enough of it...

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

The one most likely to be planted deliberately is scouring rush. It forms large patches on sandy seepages here. Field horsetail eventually penetrates extensive areas in farm fields, apparently fostered by the use of herbicides that kill off the non-resistant weeds and take away its competition.

At the arsenic-contaminated Tacoma Smelter site the only plant seen growing there is horsetail.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting