Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iku_jaxle

New to bamboo... growing indoors

iku_jaxle
15 years ago

I received a shiroshima and a p. nigra from tradewinds bamboo a couple weeks ago and planted them in containers to be grown in my apartment. They seem to be doing very well with new leaves, but I had a few questions regarding improving growing conditions.

The nigra's culms seem to be too weak compared to it's leaves... it has a hard time staying up straight so I propped it up with a metal rod... is this normal or OK? Will it get stronger?

I had both plants in my living room where they got full sun exposure for several hours a day, but I noticed the smaller culms on the shiroshima developed what appear to be large dry spots in the areas that got the most sun. Is this bad? Also, the leaves are browing a little at the tips on both plants. The shiroshima's leaves are also slightly curled which i assume is due to the dry conditions in my apartment. I've since moved both plants to areas of indirect light, but I thought shiroshimas were OK in full sun exposure...

At any rate, what levels of sunlight, humidity, watering, etc are best for these 2 plants if grown indoors?

Comments (3)

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

You probably have a young nigra, and floppy culms are normal at this stage. In a couple of years, the new culms should come up bigger and straighter. No problem staking if you want.

As for the dried or curled leaves, that sounds like not enough water. Too much sun is not an issue, especially indoors. After all, these plants do fine in all-day, full sun when outside, as long as they get enough water. You should water often enough to keep the soil moist, and you might want to mist the leaves daily in your dry winter environment. Also, you'll have to accept that indoor bamboo always require more care and are less vigorous than outdoor plants.

• iku_jaxle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for the advice.

I've been watering a little more often and they seem to be doing very well. The nigra has what appears to be a new culm growing... it's large and pointy and coming out of the ground. However, it's pointed at a 45 degree angle... will this grow crooked?

Also, I made a somewhat disturbing (to me) discovery last night. I was examining the soil of the shirshima and i noticed a lot of little white bugs crawling around. I was sitting there for 20 minutes watching and trying to figure out where they came from when a full size centipede crawled out of the soil! If these were outside plants, I wouldn't care, but since I keep them in my bedroom, I got rid of the centipede and put the plant outside... It pains me to put my new plant out in the cold when it has been doing so well, but I want the cold to kill the baby centipede. Is this OK? Is there a better way to get rid of them? I read shiroshima is good to 0 degrees, but this plant came from Oregon. I figure the single digit temperatures will kill them and not the plant...?

• scully931
    15 years ago

Ok... gross. Centipedes... well, just the word and I think I see them everywhere. And, generally I don't kill ANY bug. But, er, they usually get it. Anyway. I've had those little bugs before. What I did was to get rid of the soil and wash off the plant well then put it in new soil. Worked for me, anyway.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm