Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlatenight

when to transplat, and is 'topping' them an option?

jlatenight
16 years ago

Hi all. My first post here. And keep in mind I have NO green thumb, but I love bamboo and I've been learning lots here and elsewhere online about bamboo. My parents in PA (philly area) have a nice grove of bamboo that I'd love to mooch off of for my home here in Mass (zone 6-7) (South-shore). My Dad has graciously volunteered to bring some plants up with him next time he visits. When is the best time of year to do this? Very early Spring I would imagine, right? Not sure what type of bamboo it is either. It's def. a "runner" type. Looks like "red margin" perhaps; culms are dark green and straight and about 18' tall, some had kinks at the bottoms, branches start about 2/3 the way up. This website mentions propogating via "Rhizome Cuttings" http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/horticulture/GrowingBamboo.htm#Cold%20tolerant%20Bamboo Should we try this? Seems to be WAY easier to transport for my parents than whole young plants.

Comments (15)

• jlatenight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I actually brought home an entire culm cut into three pieces (barely fit inside the length of my car), and I looked at them again and there is a distinct yellow indented stripe in between each segment so I guess it's "golden groove" or "yellow groove"

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

Sounds like yellow groove, but some photos would be useful for a definite ID.

Some bamboos can be propagated from the cut culms, but the clumpers are the easiest to do this way.

I, personally find that digging up one of the smaller culms, and a group of three or more would be even better, if you can find some growing close enough together, does best.

I dig at least six inches around all culms, whether it is a single or multiple culm digging, and try not to disturb the soil around the roots/rhizomes.

I don't have the best of luck using just a rhizome, but it can be done, just be sure to get a rhizome with 'eyes' on them, as this is where the new shoots will emerge from, and you want to take the cutting when the rhizomes are stored with energy.

You can top the culms at the time of the digging or even after you transplant it, but do not let the soil dry out during transportation. Once transplanted, water well, and do not let it dry out during the first year, yet don't overwater it either.

It won't grow much in it's first two seasons, as it is putting it's energy into new roots and rhizomes. It's third season should give you some beautiful culms, and each year thereafter.

Now would be a good time to transplant, but I have been successful at all times of the year, but with more stress on the plant during very hot weather.

Good Luck

Kt

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

With a runner, like Yellow Groove, you are highly unlikely to have any success trying to grow it from pieces of culm. You need to plant a culm that's attached to a healthy sized rootball. You dig it up, keeping the rootball moist while you move it, and re-plant it ASAP.

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

I just dug up two pieces of the common fish pole bamboo. In both cases a rhizome had been trying to send up a shoot, but had been mowed over a few times. So a short (6 inch) dense "fuzz ball" of healthy leaves was all that was above ground. I think the eight inches of rhizome and attached matt of small roots should be able to support this little bit of greenery.

I'm going to dig up a half dozen more such plants and raise them in pots for a year.

• jlatenight
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all who commented. I really appreciate the great information.

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

I also wanted to add (from personal experience), when digging up a clump, to make things a lot easier, once you get a shovel and want to disconnect it from the attached underground rhizome, just use a hand pruner to clip the rhizome. It is so much faster than trying to slice thru it with a dull shovel blade.

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

>>>>>just use a hand pruner to clip the rhizome. It is so much faster than trying to slice thru it with a dull shovel blade.Thank you! That was helpful advice.

• herboil
    16 years ago

I for one would like to add some bamboo to my yard this year as I have a place where I can dig some up for free and several spots arounmd the yard where I can move them .

My question is this... can anyone confirm that this time of the year( late january) is an OK time to move them? Will the frost be a facotr for freshly transplanted rootballs?

Also, I assume " topping them" would be ok, as long as you left about half or so of the stem on it.

I live in North Georgia, so the type here is a tall growing green stemmed type. Just common bamboo I think...

I would love to know if I can move some now because there's now much else I can do outside this time of the year and getting that done now would free up more time in the early spring when I really put things into full swing...

Thanks in advance!

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

Well, I'm new at this but since no one else responded, I'd say now is the right time, as long as you keep the new pots/roots from drying out. They're cold hardy, so why not?

Topping them is probably a good idea, even down to only a foot of greenery, to make sure the cut roots don't have too much greenery to support.

The ones I dug up and potted last week are doing fine and we got down to freezing since.

Good luck.

• herboil
    16 years ago

THanks.... It seems winter is a decent time, as long as there is not a HARD freeze( which is rare in georgia) they should be fine... I used to love cutting the stems as a kid and used them for all sorts of things such as poles, weapons, forts, and more!

Now a days, I'd just like some of the ambience they provide.
    Around here, they grow all over the place wild and there are several established locations where you can dig them for free.( always ask permission first if there is a house nearby.)

• raythegardener
    16 years ago

OK...EXPERT BAMBOO ADVICE

1.You can transplant at any time of year. I do it all the time. I just moved a dozen plants today in 20-30 something degree weather (Maryland) as long as the variety is cold hardy.

2. It is ALWAYS about the rootmass. Size is important. Big, healthy ball of roots = Big healthy bamboo shoots.

3. You can "help" the plant by transplanting the roots with leafed "culms/stalks attached. Just be sure that you don't try the common mistake of "lot's of plant" with "little or no root".

Though generally the plant will do fine after some leaf drop and a period of "adjustment" to it's new home.

I normally cut the culms at 15 feet (they fit in my truck) but I have also cut the culms all off (when space was low) or left them all attached (with rare varieties when I have the space) and you can do fine both ways with the proper care (lot's of root and dirt if you take the complete culms/stalks). All 20+ varieties in my personal garden were dug, moved and planted without "topping" of any kind.

4. Top the plants if you can't get a lot of root or don't have the right digging equipment. (*Note: If you plan to move any decent amount of bamboo, spend the $60-$80 on a "Bamboo Spade" like the "King of Spades" http://www.gemplers.com/product/W419/King-of-Spades-All-steel-Nursery-Spade
    that you can easily sharpen (rarely needed) to slice through roots like butter. A great tool that will make you throw all of your "normal" shovels away...seriously.

5. Culms with no root almost ALWAYS die...remember it's a root thing...bamboo is a GRASS...and most varieties are quite hardy!

Good luck with your bamboo!

Ray

Questions?
    raykruse@comcast.net

• sunny_blooms
    16 years ago

My questions regards topping. I have a large bamboo (I'm new to this house) and I would love to cut it down to a few inches from the ground as long as this will not kill it. I have visions of a lovely new bamboo plant sprouting in the spring. Is it okay to cut it back this much?

• herboil
    16 years ago

Thanks RAY!

That should asnwer everyons question, so re read what Ray said about topping or anything else if you have questions...

• sunny_blooms
    16 years ago

Everything I saw before referred to topping when moving a plant. I just want to know if it's okay to leave them where they are but cut them down to within a few inches of the ground. Will they grow up again the next spring?

• cuttlefish
    16 years ago

sunny blooms:
    Yes, you can cut off the culms whenever you wish, just know that those stubs won't ever grow back... the plant will push up new culms from the rhizome system underground.
    So if you want a hedge, just top it off at your desired hight and those culms will never get taller.

Sponsored