Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fast growing bamboo

Posted by whodaz 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 3, 11 at 15:19

hello there,
I would like to know which bamboo do you guys recommend for zone 8.. i'm looking for the type that doesn't spread through the air and to have a few fast growers of about 3in or more in thickens and more than 25ft tall.. what do you guys recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fast growing bamboo

First, let me start by correcting a misconception...bamboo doesn't "spread through the air." It only seeds about every 20-150 years (depending on the species), and drops the seed in place. Second, living in Zone 8, you have many bamboo to choose from that will stay evergreen throughout the year, but few that will get 3" or more in diameter, and certainly not fast. I've been growing about 80 types of bamboo in Zone 8 for about 10 years, and my biggest ones are approaching 20-25 feet and are maybe 2" in diameter. The really big bamboo are tropical and won't typically survive in your Zone. All the bamboos that will grow large culms in Zone 8 and that are hardy and evergreen are running bamboo, typically in the Phyllostachys genus. You might consider Ph. edulis (Moso), Ph. nigra (Black), or Ph. nigra (Henon); or Ph. vivax if you don't have snow (this is a large, but thin-walled bamboo which breaks under load). The link below is to a site with pictures and info on specific bamboo characteristics that may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: BambooWeb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here