Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootman

Fargesia rufa or similar type for sale

rootman
18 years ago

I am looking for clumping, winter hardy (zone 5/6) bamboo. I understand Fargesia rufa would be a good choice.

Who ships reasonably priced quality plants of the above or other similar bamboo?

Thank you.

Rootman

Comments (13)

• faltered
    18 years ago

I purchased a fargesia murielae this past spring from Tradewinds. Was very pleased with the plant and it did well over the summer in my zone 5/6 garden.

Tradewinds

Man of the fargesias would work for you. Click on "Mountain Bamboo" as those I think are the hardiest ones they sell.

Tracy

• lkz5ia
    18 years ago

Check out gardenwatchdog.com
    It shows a list of bamboo companies and what people think of them.
    Being curious that I am, what purpose are you wanting to use rufa for?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo gardenwatchdog

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

And then there's my favorite, www.bambu-u.com

• chuckr30
    18 years ago

Check out ebay. They often list the shipping cost next to the price in the list of items.

• Cady
    18 years ago

New England Bamboo Company (Mass.) sells and ships F. rufa. A lot of bamboo nurseries are selling the new tissue culture edition from Bamboo Select. It's F. rufa "Green Panda."

• tropicallvr
    18 years ago

I hear that "Fargesia rufa" from a Spokane Washington grower is just as hardy a Fargesia murielae in that climate, and it doesn't surprise me the least.
    Good luck rootman, it seems to be a bigger, and maybe better plant!

• Cady
    18 years ago

I have a bunch of F. rufa around the property, the oldest has been there for 3 seasons. They are hardy, stay green when other fargesias look ratty, and are smaller and more compact if you have limited room.

They reportedly get up to 8' tall and as much wide, but it can take some years. Mine are 3-4' right now, but will probably get taller shoots this year.

Start with #5 or #3 size plants so they're substantial to begin with.

• bamboobob
    18 years ago

I think rufa is your best bet. Of the bamboos I have in zone 6, it consistently looks good, even in cold winters.

Although I generally agree with Cady, I think New England bamboo tends to be very expensive when compared to other good nurseries (particularly after shipping charges). Although I have a "Green Panda", I'm not sure I would recommend it any more highly than the general species.

• Cady
    18 years ago

Yes, New England Bamboo is pricier than most others, but I've found the quality and availability of their plants to be excellent. Of course, I also am biased because they are close to where I am, so I drive there and pick up my orders and don't pay shipping! But you're quite right that there are many other good nurseries that sell at lower rates. I am impressed with the number of quality bamboo growers and sellers we have around the US and Canada. Most are dedicated to bamboo, and their business grew from that.

• kennerd
    18 years ago

http://stores.ebay.com/Halfside-Bamboo

I bought some ruf anad scabria from Philinshelton based on recommendations from GW posters. Items were well packed and shipping was quick. Super-healthy plants and he was excellent to deal with.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

kennard, how did your scabrida do this winter. my scabrida and robusta were both top killed. My rufa is fine.

• d_garden
    13 years ago

I have tried several fargesias in SE Michigan, and rufa is the only one that has come through with flying colors. It's shooting like crazy right now and survived 2 winters with little topkill. I got it from a local supplier, who explained that our cold winters aren't so much the problem with most fargesias, but the hot summers.

• plantaholic
    13 years ago

our local lowes has nice 1 gal rufa for $14.97! already 3 ft tall and full.