Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to divide fargesia?

Posted by ikea_gw 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 8, 10 at 16:20

I have a clump of fargesia from which I would like to take some divisions. Do I have to dig up the whole clump first and then divide? Is there any other way to do this? Is there a general guideline on the minimum number of culms and new shoots in a division?

Additionally, since fargesia have new shoots almost continuously throughout the growing season, when is the best time to do this in zone 7? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to divide fargesia?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 8, 10 at 16:32

How big in diameter is the base of the plant? You don't need to dig the whole thing up, but I'm not going to give you any more advice until I have a better Idea of what you are wanting to divide. It would also help to know how long this has been in the ground, what fargesia species it is, and how tall the culms are.

o

It is a fargesia murielae that's been in the ground for 2 years. The base is about 1.5 feet in diameter and the bamboo is between 6 and 7 feet tall.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 8, 10 at 17:41

ikea-
That sounds good and do-able. Clumpers are sometimes harder to divide because the root system is dense and compact. If it were me, I'd try to take out two divisions, each about 1/4 of the base. You could take smaller divisions, but the smaller you go the more risk you have of the division failing.

You will need to have some kind of saw like a root pruning saw, or a Sawzall with a long (10"+) blade. Cut all the way around the division you are visualizing and then pry it out gently with a shovel or other prying device like a demo bar. If you take the whole plant out of the ground it would be a little easier to make divisions, but then you would setback the main plant by a year or two, so I don't advise this. Now is probably a good time to do this. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here