Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephfernwalt

When to transplant Moso.

josephfernwalt
14 years ago

I have some moso seedlings that are about two weeks old. There still in there green house container when do i transplant them into pots?

Comments (5)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

What are you growing the seedlings in now? Will you keep them in the greenhouse afterwards? What is your Zone? More information would help answer your question.

• josephfernwalt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The seeds are already sprouted and about a week and a half old i already transpalnted some seedlings because they were hitting the roof of the container. Which was a jiify green house.I'm going to keep them inside until it gets warm outside.Then I'll bring them back inside for the winter until there established enough to stay outside.
    Also what can I expect growth wise in the next year?
    Thanks, Joe

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Joe-
    Thanks for the extra info. The last time I grew moso from seed was several years ago, and I think I left the seedlings in their 50-plug germination tray for about 5 weeks. Then I transplanted them into 4" containers. I put them outside in late spring and they were hardy enough to make it through the next winter (Zone 8). I think they got about 5"-6" high by winter. I have had them in the ground for probably 4 years, and they are about 6' high right now; your mileage may vary. But growing from seed always takes a number of years before they start to get to a decent height.

• erm1981
    14 years ago

I also still have some moso seedlings that are starting to size up that I planted back in 2004. I transplanted them twice so it stunted them a little bit but I think this year they will really shoot up. My clump now is about 3 feet wide and has about 40 canes which the tallest one at about 4 ft. I planted about 200 seeds and got 3 plants that made it which are doing great now on my land in Anderson County, SC. I also got some 2 inch wide transplants from silver brook cemetery that I got back in 2007 which are doing really well also. My Vivax 'aureocaulis' has about 10 canes now and is sizing up really fast.....awesome. :-)

• boomantoo
    14 years ago

erm1981 Did they give you the bamboo divisions for free? At the cemetary in Anderson? Is the species (Moso) Anderson clones that are reported to be hardier than regular Moso? Thanks

Sponsored
VerdeScapes LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Landscape Architects & Landscape in Virginia