Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

Detail question about propagating from rhizomes

linaria_gw
9 years ago

Hi there
by accident I came across some rhizomes of a Phyllostachys two weeks ago. They had cleared/ bulldozed a bed where it had grown and I just plucked those from the ground.

I know it spreads like hell and just want to give it a try to grow peasticks / stakes in a container.

My question: how many nodes should a rhizome have that I want to grow on,

and can all pieces start sprouting or just those two or three where there is a nice new bud already.

I planned to stick a bit at a slight angle into a container with a soilles well draining mix.

Thanks for advice, bye, Lin

Comments (5)

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

I'm far from an expert but I believe all nodes/buds can grow. In theory that piece you're pointing to could grow 3, maybe 5 plants. However the more nodes on a piece of rhizome and the thicker the rhizome the more likely you'll get a good plant. Having a growing culm on a rhizome is even more reliable. More live plant = more stored energy to form new growth.

I would plant all 3 rhizome pieces into the same pot and see what happens. I'd prune new growth, maybe picking the thickest sprouts, if I got too many. Or separate pots if you prefer and toss the 2 worst pots at some point.

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

Those pieces probably won't take.

It makes sense to take large pieces, especially with culms and a lot of the fibrous root mass so you have a lot more energy to work with. If you get little rhizomes, there's very little energy to work with, and once they run out of energy before putting out leaves, that rhizome piece will die.

It depends on the species too. There are hundreds to choose from, and I would suggest doing your research on what kind you want to try growing before planting some random rhizomes.

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello
    I finally got around and potted those three rhizomes, thanks waterbug.

One big culm looked dried out, so now I just wait and see whetherbthere was some life left in them.

And Steve, all in all I agree with you about the research on cultivars before buying, no matter what genus or species.
    But in this case it was just some gardener opportunity to grab thise rhizomes.

I have watched that olant the last 6 years and know that it thrives in our region.

So thanks, bye, Lin

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

Looking forward to updates no matter how it goes.

6 years of seeing how a specific plant grows imo is excellent research. It's always great to find out the proper name of a plant so more research can be done but I often have trouble feeling 100% sure the id is correct. Plus it'll be in a container, it was free, collected locally, I don't see the harm in trying. I've tried lots of plants and seeds I've found by the road or wherever. It's fun seeing what you get. And the plant always has a story which is fun too.

• mersiepoo
    9 years ago

I've grown bamboo from just rhizome pieces, however they will (at least in my neck of the woods) grow very verrry verrrrrrrrry slowly and take awhile to get off the ground so to speak. But, they will grow into plants for sure.

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting