Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best clumping bamboo for narrow plantings

Posted by socteau west los angeles (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 4, 10 at 16:37

I have a narrow space along the side of my house, aprox. 45'x3'. I need to be able to have access to and walk down the side of my house. I would like to plant a higher branching clumping bamboo that will provide screening around 6" and up. Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best variety to plant? What will my maintainence be like?
Thanks,Sophia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best clumping bamboo for narrow plantings

So the three foot space along the side of your house, will be used for planting and having a walk area?

Kt

o

I wasn't clear on that either -- is it 3' total, or 3' for bamboo (with another 3' or whatever for the walkway)?

o

sorry. the space is narrow, ~3' wide. it is on the side of house where the utilities are located. so access is needed, but not like a formal walking path. i would like to plant bamboo but am wondering if the clumping bamboo will need all the space (width-wise) to provide an adequate hedge.

my neighbor cut down our "mutual" vines and i have always liked bamboo's look. we had bamboo in the past in our backyard as a screen, but it was the run for your life variety. i would like to use clumping bamboo as a screen between houses.

thanks

o

With only 3' of space, you'll need something very upright, with very short branches. I don't know if any clumpers fit that description, or would fit in that space when mature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here