Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrmann

What type to get for my zone??

chrmann
17 years ago

I would like to grow some bamboo outside. I do not want to bring it inside during the winter so it would have to be hardy to my area. I live in North Alabama, zone 7. I want it to be pretty large canes. What do you suggest? My son knew a man 20 years ago that grew some really big bamboo around here. I didn't know the man and I'm sure he is dead now. He was quite old then. Need suggestions???

Comments (7)

• cmontross
    17 years ago

I live a couple of hours south of you in Prattville. I grow over 60 types of boo, all outdoors. Most of the species I grow you can as well. Big species like henon,moso,bambusoides,vivax,viridis will all do great for you as well as many others not as large.
    Chris

• User
    17 years ago

In northeastermost NJ. I have had good luck with Phyllostachys nigra, viridis, vivax, aurea, nidularia, Sasa palmata, and Pseudosasa japonica. All have overwintered without any leaf damage at temps down to 10 F. All are vigorous and the vivax and viridis have yellow culms to boot. These are also good at the other extreme and have endured temps above 100 F. (and drought) without injury.

• chrmann
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I guess by large bamboo, I meant the diameter of the bamboo. I really do not want it to be extremely tall.

Chris, Prattville is close to Montgomery. I think you are in a different zone from me. Does your bamboo grow outside, in the ground or in a heated greenhouse? Do you sell to the public?

I've been wondering about the Fargesia types (murieliae & nitida). They are a clump type, so hopefully, I wouldn't have to worry about them getting out of hand. And they are around 10-12 feet tall. But, they are only 1/2 inch in diameter. I would like to find something that is not extremely tall, a clump type and around 1 1/2 - 2 inches in diameter. So, I guess that puts them out.

Any suggestions?

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

chrmann-
    I'm not sure that the bamboo exists that you're looking for. Anything that would grow in your zone and gets to be 1-1/2"-2" in diameter is going to be well over 20' high. For example, Ph. nigra will get to 2" and about 30' high. Henon will get to 3"+, but up to 65' high. Maybe you should review growth data and decide what the best compromise would be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bambooweb.info

• cmontross
    17 years ago

I am with kudzu9, your specifications are a little too restricted. Fargesia don't take southern summers well, except maybe rufa. I do live in a different half zone than you, but that only allows me to successfully grow a few tropicals that you would likely fail at like multiplex and textilis. Although there is a guy in Huntsville area with several tropical clumpers that are doing well. You have a lot of choices, you just have to decide which to choose. There are many good choices that aren't big timbers, 3+". You may email me directly about my surplus.
    Chris

• va_highlander
    17 years ago

As others note, there aren't going to be many varieties - if any - that fit all your requirements: well-behaved, hearty, with large-diameter culms that don't reach too high. Phyllostachis atrovaginata can get to more than 2-1/2" in diameter, but still tops out around 35' in height and is a runner, not a clumper.

Sounds like you'll have to take a look at your criteria, decide which are your hard limits - cost, height, habit, whatever - which qualities you value most, and go from there.

• plantaholic
    17 years ago

i have about 105 species/varieties in my garden in central alabama. i grow some of the tropical clumpers, but hardiness may be more of an issue in z7 of northern AL. i also have 2 fargesias that i planted last year that survived the torrid summer of 2006. im hoping theyll do well here.

you might want to think about semiarundinaria fastuosa or arundinaria amabilis. they are less agressive than most of the phyllostachys and have nice sized canes that might give you the look you are wanting.