Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seabass78

bamboo for zone 8

seabass78
14 years ago

What bamboo varieties, if any, will do well in zone 8. Central cal. foohills. I want to grow lateraly to make natural fence to block road.

Comments (11)

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

There hundreds of varieties that will do well in zone 8. Could you be more specific?

Kt

• seabass78
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sierra foothills 1600 ft. elevation. Down in a gulch. Gets cold in winter

• alan_l
    14 years ago

But what are your requirements for the bamboo? How tall does it need to be? How close to the road will it be?

• winsorw
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I live in zone 8, Washington state. Last year I planted P. dulcis and am very happy with it. It grows fast and bushy. However it's a running bamboo but so far I think it's not too difficult to control.

• seabass78
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am looking to run it paralell to the road. It does not need to be a giant bamboo. A fast grower would also be nice. First spot is about five hundred feet long. Also in another location on property it can be giant. But does not need to be running variety. When I was younger, Bamboo was not so popular. Usually we did folks a favor, when we cleared a patch off properties. Not any more.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

If you are going to have a 500' long bamboo hedge, you will need to plant runners, unless you have multiple thousands of dollars sitting around gathering dust that you can use to buy clumpers. Also, whatever you plant, use multiple species. Bamboo flower rarely and unpredictably, but, when they do, it will happen to all of your plants of that species within about a year or two, and they will die. Then you will have to start over. Nothing much sadder than a single species 500' bamboo hedge croaking...

• coltrane
    14 years ago

P. rubromarginata might be a choice. Its a running type.

• winsorw
    14 years ago

Hi bboy and coltrane,

How good of a runner is the bamboo you each mentioned?
    I looked their pictures and they are kind of nice so I'm thinking of growing them on a hill.
    Thanks.

• coltrane
    14 years ago

Rubromarginata will run as far as you let it here in the deep south. Here is a grove a couple miles from where I live. We get a lot of rain, heat and humidity. Its seems to be a very tough and hardy bamboo.

{{gwi:401426}}

{{gwi:401427}}

{{gwi:401428}}

• winsorw
    14 years ago

Wow! Thanks coltrane for the pictures. Now I know.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH