Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boooo Bamboo

Posted by liztorch (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 31, 09 at 18:56

Sorry for the long message - I'm a bad summarizer:

When moved I was so happy to have a large patch of bamboo in my patio garden. Turns out the plant was MAJORLY infested with white flies, green flies, and pretty much every other insect.

I asked my landlord to have it chopped down, which he did. I knew it would grow back, but I was hoping I'd be able to keep it more under control, and I hoped the bug problem was solved.

Fast forward to today - I have a couple feet of bamboo, and unfortunately the bug problem is worse than ever. I just chopped everything off again but I know it's only a matter of weeks before I have the same problem. I don't think digging up the rhizome will work because there is bamboo all over the property (outside my fence and creeping in).

If I put a very large, heavy planter - I'm thinking at least 3'x3' (actually it will probably have to be bigger) - right on top of the stumps, what will happen - will they be forced into submission by an insanely heavy pot full of dirt and other plants? Will shoots start popping up elsewhere in my garden (I don't know why, but the patch is in a very limited area of my garden right now)?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boooo Bamboo

I have never heard of an outdoor bamboo having insect infestation problems like that. In fact, compared to other plants, bamboo is pretty bug-resistant, except for aphids and bamboo mites.W here do you live?

Also, are you 100% sure this is bamboo? (There are a number of plants that resemble bamboo, but are not.) And, if it is bamboo, do you have any idea what species?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here