Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
phyllostachys nigra

Posted by chills Zone 6b Mi (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 15, 10 at 20:06

I have a potted P. Nigra that I' have had in a pot for the past 2 years. It did fine last winter, but this winter it is having a problem (a couple actually)

I cannot place it outdoors. It has to stay in the pot (too cold and ground frozen).

I have a cat that has been chewing on the lower leaves, I fear this may have led to some compacting of the soil. Also the dry conditions in the house (forced hot air) may have also contributed to the problems.

the plant has nearly totally defoliated. I am trying to keep it as comfortable as possible, I've managed to stop the compaction and am working on keeping the water more consistant. I do fear the almost total loss of foliage, though (95% I would estimate). The plant is in a 5 gal pot and should it make it through the winter I will repot it into a 10 gal or more pot....but that is likely months away.

Any ideas, bamboo people?

~Chills

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: phyllostachys nigra

The heat in my house and geenhouses dries out my potted bamboos. P. nigra is particularly affected by the dryer air.

If you could put it someplace where the humidity is higher, that would help a lot. Maybe putting a mister on it.

The cat compacting the soil is not a problem at all.

Kt

o
RE: phyllostachys nigra

I agree, keep it as cool and humid as possible as a containerized plant. Do you have a frost free garage? (Don't forget the occasional watering either.) Is this going into the ground eventually? If so, select a somewhat protected location as 6b is marginal for this species. It also will take a few years to establish itself--especially if it suffers regular winter set backs.I've had bamboos suffer near 100% leaf loss (after trasplant) and recuperate. This is a nice species though, not AS aggressive as other Phyllostachys species. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here