Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynboro

can anybody identify this bamboo?

jaynboro
14 years ago

i was given a start of this bamboo last spring but i dont know the name of it. i would like to learn more about it. thanks!!

{{gwi:138951}}

{{gwi:401652}}

Comments (21)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

There are about 1200 identified species of bamboo, and many of the green ones look a lot alike, especially in the juvenile state. Even if you had more detailed photos of those plants, it would be very hard to narrow it down to less than 50 species at this stage. You are more likely to have luck with an ID in a couple of years when you have taller, more mature culms and are able to provide closeups of the culms and the shoots. Sorry, but anyone who can say they can identify that plant from those photos is just making a wild guess.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Are my eyes deceiving me, or are those culms black?

Josh

• coltrane
    14 years ago

Are you sure thats bamboo? Kind of looks like something else to me.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

coltrane-
    I can at least assure the OP that it's definitely bamboo.

greenmab28-
    I thought about that, too, but decided it was just darkness caused by shadow, and that it was a green bamboo. However, if I'm wrong, then you're going to get the Plant Detective award!

• coltrane
    14 years ago

kudzu9, I think its the opposing leaf arrangement thats throwing me off. I cant think of a bamboo that doesnt have alternating leaves.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

coltrane-
    Thanks. That's an important observation, and I admit I missed that feature and focused mainly on the form of the leaf and what appear to be culms. The photos are just a bit fuzzy and I can't quite tell from them whether those leaves are exactly opposed or if they are just slightly offset. In many bamboo the offset arrangement is very noticeable, and in others the offset is very small. I have also had bamboo that had what appeared to be opposing leaves when still a juvenile, but more clearly alternating when more mature. That was a Pleioblastus, however, and that is clearly not what we're looking at here. Let me do a little more research, and I'll re-post. This is getting interesting...

• coltrane
    14 years ago

I also noticed that the vaining in the leaves does not run parallel to the blade. Especially noticable in the lower left hand leaves in the first photo.

• jaynboro
    Original Author
    14 years ago

actually the black you are seeing is the original "stem". when the guy dug it up for me, it went into shock and pretty much lost all leaves. plus the lighting wasnt the best either. i know this is not much help, but seems like he called it "corn-boss"....(i know thats not the right name). maybe something close to that name?

• coltrane
    14 years ago

Never heard of 'corn boss'. Im thinking its a young tree or shrub. Its hard to tell.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

jaynboro-
    Despite my initial, knee-jerk reaction that it was bamboo, I'm getting persuaded I was wrong. Can you post a couple more pictures that are closeups? It would help to see: 1) the shape of the top, 2) a pair of opposing leaves, 3) the area where a "branch" joins the main stalk, and 4) what that stub looks like.

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

That is not bamboo. I'll do some research and see what I can come up with, but it's not bamboo.

Kt

• jaynboro
    Original Author
    14 years ago

okay.....will take a few more pics and post! thanks everybody!

• jaynboro
    Original Author
    14 years ago

the leaves droop after the sun goes down....same plant as earlier pic....just leaves relaxed.
    {{gwi:138952}}
    {{gwi:401653}}
    {{gwi:401654}}
    {{gwi:401655}}

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

jaynboro-
    Good pix...definitely not bamboo! Now let's try to figure out what it is!

• coltrane
    14 years ago

'corn boss' sounds good to me. Im stumped.

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

I've seen a plant very similar to that, but can't remember where.

Could it be a weed?

Post it on the Name That Plant Forum.

Kt

• coltrane
    14 years ago

'Corn boss weed'. Dont they grow those in Iowa?

• jaynboro
    Original Author
    14 years ago

posted the pic in name that plant forum and they told me it was Senna cassia. just passing along the info! thanks again!

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

I was thinking Coffee Senna, which grows here and is very poisonous to livestock. That's why I thought it looked familiar, but I didn't think it grows in Tennessee, so I didn't mention it.

Kt

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

As I recall they indicated Cassia was a synonym of Senna, both being genus names. Hence the parentheses.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

I took a look at some pictures of various Senna genus plants on Plantfiles and none of them look the same to me as the photos above. I'm still looking for something that has the brown, bark-y stalk, with the little nodules on the surface...

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!