Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo for Fencing

Posted by lilmikey 8a (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 08 at 22:37

I have a 10 acre parcel and would like to grow a bamboo fence all the way around it. Soil is sandy loam (High desert) good drainage. Min winter temperature is 15, Summer max 115. Is there any kind of bamboo that could grow there to form a thick barrier that you couldn't easily climb through, maybe 6 to 8 feet thick and at least 10 feet tall? Also, hopefully a species that would not require a barrier to keep it within the 8 foot thickness, because it's a long way around 10 acres and an effective barrier around that distance would be expensive. I'm thinking a dense clump of a non-runner. What would work for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo for Fencing

There are several Bambusas that would do well in zone 8a.

Most don't like temps below 15F for long periods of time but they do well here in 100+ temps.

The problem would be the price to cover that much area.

I started with a couple of clumps and keep dividing each year and adding the divisions to the area that I want surrounded by the bamboo, but it looks like it might take a few years.

I started using B. sinospinosa as a barrier for part of the area since it has razor-sharp thorns on it making it an impenetrable barrier, however, it doesn't do well below 20F.

Try looking into the Bambusa multiplexes. There are several varieties that will do well for you.

Good Luck

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here