Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hello_c_j_here

Unknown Black Bamboo... any ideas?

hello_c_j_here
15 years ago

I finally managed to get outside and divide this monster. Well monster to me anyways!! Took 2 hours to get it out and cut into 5 peices. I took off the bottom 4 inches or so... and anything that looked rotted. 50+ Gal Planter I got in a trade for 2 15 gal P.Aurea and Buddah. She had it in this same planter for 5 years and no escapees...so assumed it was a clumper. Does fine in the freeze here too... we had 3 straight days of below freezing days and a day of mid teens. Anyone have some possibilites?

Blessings

{{gwi:401698}}

{{gwi:401699}}

{{gwi:401700}}

{{gwi:401701}}

{{gwi:401702}}

{{gwi:401703}}

Comments (9)

• Genericboi
    15 years ago

It looks like Phyllostachys Nigra to me...which is Black Bamboo.

The green culms will turn black the older they get and the more sun they're exposed to.

• hello_c_j_here
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I agree somewhat, but no rhizome race track like I'd expect for a 5 year old plant in this planter.
    Blessings

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

Looks like my P. nigra also, but my culms won't turn black in full sun, they stay spotted or green as in your pics. They need shade to turn completely black.

Kt

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

I'd think if anything the blackening would be more pronounced in stronger light, same as with green culms turning more yellow in more sun. Is there something different in this respect about P. nigra (which the above specimen clearly is)?

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

I had four year old culms at my workplace that got almost full sun and the culms never turned black, they were spotted and the green parts turned more yellow.

The new culms in complete shade, turn black before the end of the growing season, same goes for the P. nigra here at my house. More sun, less black...less sun, more black. May be an environmental thing. This Texas sun gets extremely intense and hot. Possibly a different form of black bamboo also.

Sunlight slows the process and also tends to make the culms spotted instead of solid black.

However, Lako and Atro seem to turn black in shade or sun.

Kt

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Haven't noticed this phenomenon here.

• hello_c_j_here
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I still think its another variety... 5+ years in the planter...never an escapee and when I cut it open...the longest rhizome was 8-10 inches. I'd expect a race track of running rhizomes around the planter manytimes. But none... not one.
    any other possibilities?
    Blessings,

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

I've always been led to believe that age + shade encouraged the black culms. Three years, with a bit of shade, and Ph. nigra should go black.

My own Ph. nigra planting is less than a year old....still too young for comparison.

Josh

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

Possibly P. nigra 'othello'? Mine has been in a pot for a few years and no escapees as of yet, but then I don't give it any extra care...just water it every so often.

Josh, I agree. Age and shade will encourage black culms. In sun, they will never turn completely black, just become spotted. Gib Cooper told me this before I bought mine years ago. He said it needs to be planted in partial shade.

Kt

Sponsored