Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using Bamboo has living wall

Posted by alyx_c none (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 23:35

Hi All, Has anyone ever tried to grow bamboo in rectangular containers to use as a living wall in front of a patio for sun relief? I am at my wits end on what to do because of the wind and sun. The ones I am considering are Phyllostachys aurea (fish pole, golden bamboo) orPhyllostachys nigra (black bamboo).

It hot here, coastal, very windy 99% of time, salt air. Thanks, Alyx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using Bamboo has living wall

How big are the containers that you would be using?

How tall do you need the bamboo to grow?

Clumping bamboo will grow thicker/denser in containers.

What zone are you in?

Kt

o

As Kentuck asks, there is very little info. To go by in order to answer this question. But I would say, I would NOT go with bamboo in the situation you describe. I don't see how you would be able to keep up with the watering needs in such a hostile environment--containers in full sun, windy, hot, salt, etc.. In the ground, bamboo are quite drought tolerant (in a generally WET climate). You would have better luck with ornamental grasses, but really only a guess as it depends on your climate and container size.

o

Hi, Yes I see I did not provide enough info. Here is a pic of where i am trying to grow the bamboo. It will take the place of the cutains that were shedded agaist the stucco with the wind. The container would be whatever size i would need them to be but they would to be moveable so I would most likely have more smaller containers rather and 2 giant ones. The size of each opening is 11' to 12'. The need to grow at least 10' tall.

o

Or I could do 4 of these on each side so at least the sun would be disfussed. The alternative is to but a pergola the entire length. Where u see flagstone and rock is now a pool. Thanks, Alyx

o

Forgot zone, it's zone 9a. It's Padre Island National Seashore. Ground is 100% sand. Ocean water is no more than .5 mile and laguana madre (hypersaline water) is across the street. Agave's love it here. It's windy 98% of the year. Thanks

o

I assume you are talking about Padre island, 'Texas' right?

If so, you might try Bambusa multiplex 'Golden Goddess' or 'Fernleaf' since they get quite thick in pots and will only need to be re-potted every 4 or 5 years depending on pot size, but the larger pot, the better.

Each will stay under 10 feet in height growing in a pot.

Kt

o

Yes, I am talking about Padre IS. Thank you so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here