Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elbeardo

Dividing Black Bamboo from a Pot

elbeardo
14 years ago

I was given a large plastic pot with Black Bamboo growing in it. Much of the roots and rhizomes are exposed out of the soil and the plant has out grown it's container. I would like to remove it from the pot, divide it into two or three clumps, and plant it in the ground. Any tips on how to do this?

Comments (5)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Very easy...and do it now before the plant starts shooting this spring. Un-pot it, take a root pruning saw, and saw straight down between the culms. Make sure each section has at least one culm and a reasonable size root ball (too small, and the division may die). When you have your 2-3 pieces, do not do anything to further disturb the dirt or roots; just re-pot each chunk and water well.

• elbeardo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok Kudzu. I followed your directions and planted the clumps.... three of them in the ground, and one in a pot. Out of the three in the ground, one is doing well, with new green shoots coming up at the base of some of the existing culms. The two others existing leaves are drying out and dying. The clup that I repotted has gone completely dry and looks dead. It's been about three weeks. What do you think?

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Well, that should have been a very safe procedure, based on your description. It's hard to diagnose with relatively little info. For the ones that aren't doing well, how big were the root balls that you planted? And have you made sure that all the bamboo have been kept moist? It's pretty clear that the bamboo that are not doing well went into shock, which is not uncommon. That they are losing leaves is not great, but it doesn't mean the plants are dying. Make sure they get plenty of sun and don't dry out. And If you can post some pictures here, I might have a better idea of what the outlook is...

• daveh_sf
    14 years ago

I'm not sure I'd agree with Kudzu about the sun. Since the plants are stressed, I'd keep them shaded for a while until they show signs of improving. You can get some new roots going by watering well with a solution of vitamin B1 or Dyna-Gro K-L-N. If you've still got good leaves, you can also reduce their water requirement by spraying them with an anti-transpirant such as Cloud Cover.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Dave-
    You're right. And I should quit answering posts at 2 in the morning!

They do need light, but too much direct sunlight could be (or could have been) a problem. However, since three of them are in the ground, that might be difficult to address.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting