Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zippo1_gw

Whats the most aggressive bamboo

zippo1
14 years ago

Plenty of land and plenty of areas to fill In I need the most aggressive bamboo on the planet. So which would that be? No neighbors either so I want to infest myself.

Comments (8)

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

There is NO single most aggressive bamboo in the world.

Aggressiveness depends on your geographic location, climate, soil type, moisture(rainfall), etc.

Give us some more info.

Kt

• zippo1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

zone 7a location would be open area with full sun, of course average rain etc

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

What region?

• kyuzo
    14 years ago

I live in zone 6 and a couple of strong performers for me are Semiarundinaria Yashadake 'Kimmei' (it dies back most winters to the ground but continues to shock me with its spread and vigor), Chimonobambusa Quadrangularis is another shockingly aggressive one that again top-kills most winters for me but would do better for you in zone 7. I'd give it your most protected site and let it spread out from there if you consider it. My all-time favorite is Phyllostachys Aureosulcata 'Spectabilis'. It spreads like crazy on my site and does not die back! Its bullet-proof! Plus, you can't beat the vibrant color. Phyllostachys Rubromarginata would be abother aggressive spreader in zone 7. For me, so far it hasn't really lived up to its reputation as a crazy spreader. There's always this coming spring?!?

If you're at all interested in Chimonobambusa Quadrangularis, I could fix you up with a spare division I've been overwintering?

• spademilllane
    14 years ago

Sheesh. This is like people trading pit bulls.

• bamboosalvador
    14 years ago

Well, It depend region and sun, remember that Bamboo grow in land under 3000 feet., Maybe, could you try with a type named Gadua, have a nice strips and atraight, growing between 10 and 15 cm. per day. Have a beatiful green and its resistant is perfect to constructions.

• sfhellwig
    14 years ago

Just to throw in my $.02. Here in my area of zone 6 everyone has P. aureosulcata or "Yellow Groove". I don't know how aggressive people consider it but it can cover a good amount of ground in a few years. In full sun it spreads quicker and sizes up to 2+", probably 25-30'. It is plenty hardy here with only leaf burn, never die back. Every grove will take a few years to establish, no matter how many division you plant. If you need to be that surrounded, let it go for a few years then start dividing and placing at the other end of the property so it starts to work back towards you.

• plantaholic
    14 years ago

phyllostachys bissettii......hands down from my 106 varieties in central alabama z8a.

Sponsored